Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1969 S Cent I don't see on Coppercoins website can anyone identify the date problem?

mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
Looks like the date was redone? Strike doubling?

--------T O M---------

-------------------------

Comments

• Options
    If you're thinking of the DDO, it will show up strongly on LIBERTY, somewhat less so on the date. If this one has no strong doubling on LIBERTY, I'd have to say it's machine doubling on the date - though nice separation on the doubling!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    When I was a young whipper snapper I bought a huge lot of coins in a mail bid and they were all "double die" cents. I just remembered that I had them in an old 2x2 box and i'm looking at them again for the first time in 15 or more years. Most of them are repunched mint marks. Cool coins but this one looked pretty odd. None of the legend is doubled so it's not the jackpot coin but it still looks odd to me

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Looks like a strike double to me. Look for doubling in other areas as well. The 69 DDO is obvious to the naked eye and should be quite apparent.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link to some nice photos of the 1969-S DDO on Ken Potter's site.

Yours looks like machine (or strike) doubling, but it's pretty extreme.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an extreme example of strike, or machine doubling. The doubled MM and the low relief of the secondary image gives it away. Nice coin, though.
  • Options
    It is strike doubling. The real double die does not have a RPM.

Matt Allman
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'll also vote for a nice strike double.
  • Options
    melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    Strike doubling (I Prefer to call it "Machine" doubling cause the movement of the die in the machine that dose it) is very common with 1969 cents, I have rolls full

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file