Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

some sms are ok and some aren't?

i was trying to enter a 1967 ms66cam sms washington quarter into my 20th century type set, but could not. as i look at some other type sets in my category, it does allow sms nickels from 1999. why is one ok and not the other?

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, but I think it might be that for registry purposes the 1965 to 1967 SMS coins are usually classified as proofs. There were no proof coins issued for those years, but there were for the years the later "SMS" coins were produced.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    OK Russ, so while you're at it, what are "sms nickels from 1999?"
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

As you already know, there are no SMS nickels from 1999. I assumed he simply made a typo and felt no need to point out the error as it wasn't relevant to his question.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nalamolly5nalamolly5 Posts: 671 ✭✭
    my mistake, 1994 jefferson sms ms69fs, and a 1998s kennedy half ms69sms are accepted into the type set.
  • Options
    I think Russ' explanation suffices... my Registry Type Set though, is MS/PR, so I have Proofs, SMS, and Circ Strikes...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    i emailed the registry people. they said that since there no proof sets during those 60's years in question, the sms are counted as proofs. the 90's coins that are sms are allowed because proof sets were issued in those years.