Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just got the results of my 4 attempts to upgrade THANK YOU PCGS GRADERS!!

2 out of 4 is fantastic, especially when they were the right 2 (the 32-D's went in as 63's)

THANK YOU PCGS!!! Yippee! And thanks for the fast turnaround! THANKS GRADERS

LINE # CERT # COIN DATE DENOMINATION VARIETY COUNTRY GRADE
1 21544413 1932-D 25C USA MS64
2 21544414 1932-D 25C USA MS64
3 21544415 1935-D 25C USA MS65
4 21544416 1936-D 25C USA MS65

Date Received: 03/31/2004
Date Shipped: 04/26/2004

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with the series. Will the two upgrades pay the cost of your submission? Wink.image
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boom,

Congratulations on the two 32-d's That is Pure T kick *ss

jim
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Thanks guys...I'm so ecstatic I can hardly restrain myself!image
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boom: imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Boom. That's a strong upgrade. Congratulations!
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Obviously, you have a very good eye. Congratulations!

Another obvious is PCGS had it wrong 50% of the time.

• Options
    Sweet deal, Boom!!!

Are you buying drinks? image
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Did you send them in raw, or in the old holders?

Nice upgrade!
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The difference in value between a 1932-D MS63 and MS64 Washington will pay for mucho submission fees. Congrats!~
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good deal!!

Congrats!!

John
  • Options
    Thanks everybody. I sent both of them in in their PCGS slabs...not as crackouts!
    Drinks are on me!image I think I have just been paid the highest compliment a fellow
    collector can give another....having a good eye. I try hard to buy and offer top notch coins.
    Thanks all of you. This is truly a memorable moment for me.image Not one I'll soon forget.image
  • Options
  • Options
    BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    Now Thats a Better Feeling than winning the lottery ..GREAT JOB !!! congrats imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Thats 10 thumbs up for you.

Since you are buying I will Have a Pepsi Please image
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Ka -Booooooooom, I'll have a Pepsi on Daveimage------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Boom,

Congratulations on a trained eye.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Well, I haven't drank since 7-5-95 so I'll have Dr. Pepper with you guys.image

I am seriously considering collecting / printing this thread for historical purposes.

Whenever I meet any of you I'll have to buy the drinks of choice....sorta like

when I made my first "Hole-in-One"...I won a few dollars but having to buy a drink

for everyone on the Golf Course ...that was an expensive Ace!image
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    You never win, you always just buy something elseimage-------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
  • Options
    Boom congrats on your upgrade.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    why didn't they grade them like that in the 1st place???

K S
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was kinda waiting for dork to pop up and put cold water on this thread imageimage

Congrat's Boom..... but I too despise the elements of this game generally speaking so I guess we'll go easy on KS.

Marc
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>why didn't they grade them like that in the 1st place???

K S >>

Gradeflation.

Been getting a bunch of upgrades myself.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>I was kinda waiting for dork to pop up and put cold water on this thread >>

did i misunderstand? weren't these a pair of 1932-d quarters that got upgraded from ms-63 to ms-64? cold water nothing, shouldn't that bother the he11 out of you people? that pcgs can make a FOUR THOUSAND DOLLAR MISTAKE not ONCE, but TWICE?

geez, that this doesn't bother anyone is phenomenal. i would be PISSED AS HE11 to find out that pcgs had shortchanged me to the tune of EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS on grades.

i DO NOT understand!!!

K S
  • Options
    1 more thing, why are you thanking the pcgs graders? you should be thanking the person who got ripped off when he sold the 2 coins for undergraded ms-63 $$$

K S
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grading a coin one way the first time and another the second time is not "making a mistake". Grading would have to be a science in order for that to be the case. Since it is an art, and standards necessarily subtlely change over time, this circumstance is to be expected. Congrats.

BTW - the value of the coins didn't change, so the seller didn't get ripped off one penny. The value of the holder changed significantly, and that was all due to Boom's decision to resubmit.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many coins are sent in that would be downgraded if sent in raw?
  • Options

<< <i>BTW - the value of the coins didn't change, so the seller didn't get ripped off one penny. The value of the holder changed significantly, and that was all due to Boom's decision to resubmit. >>

HUH?!?!?!

i send my 1932-d to pcgs, it comes back ms-63. i sell it to boom for $3000. next day, boom resubmits it to pcgs, it comes back ms-64. he immediately sells it for $8000. how in the he11 did i not get ripped off by pcgs??? THEY GRADED MY COIN WRONG!!! i paid for certification to have the RIGHT GRADE put on the holder, they put the WRONG grade on, & i didn't get ripped off???????????

THEN WHO DID?!?!?!

K S
  • Options
    Way to go, Boom. Enjoy!
  • Options

<< <i>Grading would have to be a science in order for that to be the case. Since it is an art, and standards necessarily subtlely change over time, this circumstance is to be expected. >>

that is true, but not very relevant to the discussion. pcgs doesn't "grade" coins, they CERTIFY grades. by endorsing that the grade of a coin CAN BE certified, pcgs implies a requisite level of consistency.

this example demonsrates a phenomenally inept level of consistency of pcgs's part (to the tune of EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS), & compensation for the damage done should be applicable when the damage is that extensive.

maybe to you EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS is peanuts, but me, that's major mojo.

K S
  • Options
    1 last thought, this is where someone like the PNG should get involved, if that organization wasn't just about completely worthless. like i said before, there's no way in he11 someone doesn't get ripped when he sells an erroneously certified coin for much too little $$$.

K S
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!! I am impressed!!
    Wondo

• Options
    BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090

<< <i>

<< <i>BTW - the value of the coins didn't change, so the seller didn't get ripped off one penny. The value of the holder changed significantly, and that was all due to Boom's decision to resubmit. >>

HUH?!?!?!

i send my 1932-d to pcgs, it comes back ms-63. i sell it to boom for $3000. next day, boom resubmits it to pcgs, it comes back ms-64. he immediately sells it for $8000. how in the he11 did i not get ripped off by pcgs??? THEY GRADED MY COIN WRONG!!! i paid for certification to have the RIGHT GRADE put on the holder, they put the WRONG grade on, & i didn't get ripped off???????????

THEN WHO DID?!?!?!

K S >>

Sorry but I think you made the mistake for selling them for $3000. You sell (and buy) the coin, not the holder.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry but I think you made the mistake for selling them for $3000. You sell (and buy) the coin, not the holder. >>

nope. that's not what PCGS claims. they claim you don't have to worry about the coin, trust them, it's graded properly.

K S
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope. that's not what PCGS claims. they claim you don't have to worry about the coin, trust them, it's graded properly.

Really? Could you please show exactly where they state that? I would have thought that what they say is to trust them that it's not overgraded - which for the most part I do. But perhaps I was mistaken......
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many coins are sent in that would be downgraded if sent in raw?

Good point and very true - Boom got lucky and EVIDENTLY bought very nice superior examples for the grade - in this case really buying the coin and not the plastic, and evidently did well indeed. You do not hear from the zillions that send in various crak outs and what have you and receive diddely or nothing in return - possibly and often regraded lower than what it was etc etc.

Marc
  • Options

<< <i>nope. that's not what PCGS claims. they claim you don't have to worry about the coin, trust them, it's graded properly.

Really? Could you please show exactly where they state that? I would have thought that what they say is to trust them that it's not overgraded - which for the most part I do. But perhaps I was mistaken...... >>

Customer Bill of Rights
    The Guarantee of Grade & Authenticity is fundamental to PCGS's concept of third-party grading. The cash-back policy ensures the accuracy of the grade assigned to any PCGS coin as long as it remains in its tamper-evident holder. If a coin is believed to be improperly graded, and a discrepancy is found when resubmitted through PCGS's Downgrade Resubmission service, the guarantee entitles the coin's owner to options designed for his protection.

The Highest Standards for your Coins

The Professional Coin Grading Service began serving the coin-buying public on February 3, 1986.

The firm is responsible for dramatic improvements throughout the rare coin industry which have forever changed the way rare coins are bought and sold. In addition to standardized grading. PCGS offered a cash-backed grading guarantee, problem-free coins, safe long-term storage, and sight-unseen trading. Together, these elements have created unprecedented public support for the rare coin industry.

(my bolds)

pcgs's own website tells me that i can buy coins certified by them SIGHT-UNSEEN, it's an obvious deduction that it means i need not even view the coin itself, because the certified grade is what matters & is reliable

K S
  • Options
    BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090

<< <i>[pcgs's own website tells me that i can buy coins certified by them SIGHT-UNSEEN, it's an obvious deduction that it means i need not even view the coin itself, because the certified grade is what matters & is reliable

K S >>

K S, I interpret the PCGS gurrantee as a way to protect a buyer (not a seller) from purchasing
    an overgraded coin. In this case the buyer has been protected and the sight-unseen transaction
    has worked. I'm assuming the seller (who holds the coin) will have access to the coin and be
    able to see it. The seller needs to protect himself in this case. He has one of two options: he
    can resubmit the coin and hope for a better grade or he can charge more money for the coin
    and hope a discerning buyer will look past the holder.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    So......are they graded properly now? or overgraded?

If they are sold, you will make money....but will the buyer be getting his/her money's worth or will he/she be buying overgraded coins?
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    I hand pick every one of my coins. In every grade there are low end pieces, pieces that are solid for

the grade and lastly, there are high end pieces- coins that have a real "shot" at upgrading. I always

opt for the third- it's called "Cherrypicking". If the coins would not have merited their new grade, do

you think for one moment PCGS would simply have GIVEN them to me? I MEAN REALLY?

We all know that grading is subjective and always WILL be as long as human beings do the grading.

In one instance the coin was in an old Green holder...certified back in the day when PCGS was young

and REAL strict-perhaps TOO strict. I have often said that MOST of your better chances at upgrade

come in these older holders.(IMHO)

All I know is TODAY the fruits of my labor have paid off and I suspect there will be more in my set that

upgrade and some that will not. Naturally,I won't agree with the ones that do not. It's a free country,

so if you want to vent your angst, your negativity against PCGS, which BTW I CAN "understand" (your

point that is) go right ahead, but this is one of the happiest days of my life as a collector and I intend

to relish the moment.

I will NOT allow the voices of a few to outweigh the collective voice of the majority. If you have a gripe

against PCGS I'd appreciate it if you'd start your own thread and let me enjoy mine! Thanks to all that

have shared in my moment. imageimage One or two people will not ruin it for me!

One more thing! I have band practice for the next several hours so have a ball while I'm gone.

As Scwarzennager says..."I'll be back!"image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file