Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cancellation Notice

I just recieved another "Cancellation Notice" for an auction from ebay.

This is the 4th one in a week. I have not had so many at one time.

Are sellers not getting their price or bidders offering higher prices to sell off line?

Glen
I don't buy slabs I make them

Comments

• Options
    .........several hundred eBay auctions and I only had to cancel one auction due to an error. Most likely you are experiencing sellers not happy with the current prices of their auctions. If only they had more patience.......or more faith in their listings.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    It depends. I usually make some rounds, coinshops, phone etc., and the material I have listed on Ebay is open game, unless it has a bid. If I find a buyer for something listed on Ebay, I cancel the Ebay listing. Again, only if the item doesn't have a bid.

As a seller, I receive plenty of offers "off" Ebay to sell listed items. GENERALLY, I don't bite on those, unless I've done business with the person before, or they can provide solid references, otherwise I'll ask them to wait until the end of the auction to make an offer.

All in all I'll end up cancelling 5%-10% of my listings.

If you're talking about .99 started items, and the cancellations are towards the end of the auction, then JadeRareCoin is most likely correct, and sellers are afraid of not receiving sufficient bid amounts.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Yeah, some people have items for sale at store locations, websites, etc.........and it may sell outright for the price they want, when the auction is not yet that high. Therefore it is "Item no longer available". That is the case some of the time. Other times, it is just plain reserve fee avoidance..........which has happened to me numerous times........with coins and other things, where the buyer doesn't like where the price is at. This usually occurs near the end of an auction though.
    certifiedsilverdollar.com
    A site dedicated to the sale of rare and high MS grade Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars. All coins are graded by ICG, PCGS, NGC, or Anacs, and are priced well below PCGS values.
  • Options
    bigD,

The one thing that I have noticed about your auctions, is that you usually state that the "item may be not be available due to prior sale." That is something I can live with. I really get torqued when some items are cancelled right at the end.
    I have only had to cancel one auction...I found that I had already sold the coin, and did not remember...part of growing senile. image
    Gary
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I don't really mind if a seller cancels an auction when there's still lots of time on the clock. Many of these guys are dealers and have other outlets for the coins. If they get a solid offer, more power to them.

What irritates the hell out of me are the gutless wimps who run no reserve auctions then cancel at the last minute because the coin didn't bring what they hoped it would.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I believe we had a fairly new member here in recent months cursing us for not placing "reasonable" bids for his "superb" auction offerings. He closed all his no resrve auctions early due to inadequate bids!
  • Options
    I don't do it often, but I canceled one this weekend. Still had 6+ days to go and no bids. A dealer at the weekend coin show offered me stupid money. I guess PCGS Lincolns are hot.

perfectstrike
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    If you list the item you should stick with it. If you were consigning to Christies Auction House would you be able to close the auction once it started? So if there are low, no, or just so-so bids, stick with it. Its a good thing - Oh yeah, she got convicted, Sorry.

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    If they cancel it in the last moments and there is a pattern that points to reserve fee avoidance, report them to EBay...
  • Options
    Someone better bid on some Ikes I have on eBay soon or I may have to cancel my auctions.image
    Bill

09/07/2006

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file