Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Original Lincoln Roll Question

I bought a roll of 1955-S Lincolns today in what I think is the original bank wrapper (Security First National Bank, Sunnyvale CA)

I went to open it and it has tin foil at each end that is still sealed. Is this normal for bank wrapped rolls before the shotgun rolls of recent times?

Thanks
Michael

Comments

• Options
    Many roll collectors did this in the 50' and 60's attempting to preserve the coins and prevent toning.

Ken
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Fratt - It's not common for any bank wrapped roll - in fact I've never seen it. Banks didn't care about coin preservation (the reason collectors wrapped them in foil) - all the banks cared about was making a 50 cent stick for commerce.

If you open those be sure to check them closely for 1955S-1MM-001. There will be two extra upper curves of S mintmarks above and slightly to the left of the primary mintmark. These are very uncommon and bring $15-$20 in uncirculated grades.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    With the foil it is not an OBW roll but that does not mean that it was searched or will lack nice coins. I usually find the foinl rolls to be very nice.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    A gentleman on an email list I'm on recently sold a number of 1955-S cents rolls to another member. These were original rolls that he had purchased back in 1955, rolled in aluminum foil and put in red paper roll wrappers. You may have gotten one of his rolls. The buyer opened one oll and it was full red like new condition.
  • Options
    melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    I like the foil rolls

Never found a great cent in one, but then again it's hard to find a great cent in any roll

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options

<< <i>A gentleman on an email list I'm on recently sold a number of 1955-S cents rolls to another member. These were original rolls that he had purchased back in 1955, rolled in aluminum foil and put in red paper roll wrappers. You may have gotten one of his rolls. The buyer opened one oll and it was full red like new condition. >>

Conder -- Was it from the same bank?

Michael
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not an expert on this but the foil from what I have read preserves the red color...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file