Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just finished my Wayte Raymond Silver Roosies -- let the toning begin!

Just completed the set with a 49-P today. I've been working on this set for about 1 year and I finally got it completed today. Most coins are MS64+ with some FTs (I think) but all are really well struck. All of them started out with blazing luster, any mellowing of that is coming from the album.

Now I'm just going to kick back and wait for the toning to advance. Here's some pics of the beginning stages on some of the Roosies.

Michael

Comments

• Options
    Cool!image Now, as you say, just sit back and watch the hatchlings hatch. image
  • Options
    PeetiePeetie Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Nice!! Are you going to finish out the bottom row with some other gems?
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Question: What is your method of putting the coins in this holder? I can't seem to get them in straight image i don't want to damage the coins in any way or scuff them even though I have cotton gloves...

Any suggestions,
    Ray
  • Options
    Ray - as long as you don't touch the coin you'll be fine - sometimes in these holders you do have to shove pretty good to get them in the holes!

Michael - turn the clock forward about 10 years or so image

• Options
    Frank -- don't make me take out the toned set that I have and post my pics!!!!! imageimage Beautiful set, by the way!

I have a complete set that is nicely toned in a LOC album. I cheated and bought already toned coins for that one, but I wanted to do a WR set just to see how it develops over the years. Plus, these coins were chosen for their grade and strike.

As for getting the coins in, I just apply a little pressure with my cotton gloved right thumb and poof they're in! I'm really getting into the WR Album collecting!

Michael
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I hope the process doesn't take too many years...I want to be around to see the results...image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fratt: It really is going to depend where you live and where you store the set. I "think" you are here in CA, right? Well, that probably isn't too good of a sign. It's fairly dry here so that won't help much.

I've had some silver coins in these kinds of holder for about 8 years and they have done NOTHING. In the mean time, my clad Kennedys in a Dansco are going to town. The silver coins don't do anything but about a third of the clads have a rim/rainbow. It's taken about 11 years. Even my state quarter set is starting to "brown". The 1999 and 2000 dates are anyway....

You may very well be waiting a LONG time for this.....

jom
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Here's a question for the Wayte Album owners.
    I have the ones in the pic below
    Cents go from 1909vdb to 59D
    Nics go from 1938 to 56
    Dimes go from 1946 to 58
    Quarter go from 1932 to 50

I was going to sell these but if you owned them would you load them up and put them away for a decade or two?

Fratt, Congrats on the completion I hope they tone well for ya!!

Tom
  • Options

<< <i>You may very well be waiting a LONG time for this..... >>

I am in California, so you're probably right that it'll take some time. It is rather dry here. There's some toning already starting, but I'm only 34 so hopefully, God willing, I got some time to wait.

I'll keep posting pics as it progresses.

Michael

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as jom pointed out, you will probably achieve somewhere between minimal help in toning these dimes and nothing due to the fact that most/all of the sulfer and other toning agents have long since leached out, leaving essentially inert cardboard behind. that makes them good storage folders as opposed to the hoped for artificial enhancement vehicles.

al h.image
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Mike - Whip out those dimes - I'd love to see them!!!

Tom - Wayte Raymond holders are bringing pretty good money right now. It would depend on what you'd enjoy doing. If filling them would be fun for you then I'd say go for it. If on the other hand you're concentrating on other collections, then by all means - put them up! It's all in what you'd enjoy doing image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file