Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should the nickel stop being minted?

HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
I have not included my opinion,as this is a nuetral poll on my part.See my other polls on the cent,the dollar bill/coin,and others.

Comments

• Options
    Your poll is not working.Why would we want the nickel to stop being made?Its getting a lot more use then dollar or half dollar coins.
  • Options
    No.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Why would we want the nickel to stop being made? >>

Well, so far everyone seems intent on eliminating our smallest unit of change, I figure Congress should just save time (rather than waiting a few years until everyone wants once again to eliminate the smallest unit of change) and eliminate the penny, nickel, and dime all at once. After all, what can you buy with a penny nowdays? Or with a nickel? Or a dime?
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    No. Nickels are useful. You don't see people throwing nickels away in the parking lot of the 7-11 like they do with pennies.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Or should we just stop using nickel in nickels? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?
  • Options
    No - get rid of pennies. They are crap. Total crap.
    If there was an Indian on them instead of ol' Abe, they would have been scrapped years ago.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    NO!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's impossible to eliminate the nickel without revamping the currency system because
    they are necessary to make change between the dime and quarter.

Otherwise the nickel has little enough value that it would hardly be missed.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    How about a five cent copper plated zinc coin?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about a five cent copper plated zinc coin? >>

Argggg!! No zinc! The metal is unstable and highly toxic.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    <<
    It's impossible to eliminate the nickel without revamping the currency system because
    they are necessary to make change between the dime and quarter.
    >>

That's why I said eliminate the dime too. After all, a dime is only worth twice a nickel, and twice "nothing" is "nothing" right? Another argument used to get rid of the cent is the elimination of the half cent. This occured when the coin finally became essentially worthless. The cent, five cent, dime, quarter, and half were first made over two centuries ago. Unless I'm seriously mistaken, isn't a dollar now worth less than a penny was then? Or at the very least, not very much more? If we are going to argue certain coins need to be eliminated because they are worthless, then ALL coins need to be eliminated, because by historical (and practical) standards, they essentially are worthless.

Or we could just not fix what isn't broken and not worry about eliminating any coins image
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file