Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

While I still sit lost in limbo I've been doing alot of reading...

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
I must say this is fun, I have been trying to think of how I would like to focus our collection so that more people could enjoy the numismatic experiance.

Please give your input on ways to attract others to the hobby. I'm thinking a type set is the most obvious so have decided to persue a circulated and a slabbed set.

I'm also thinking about a graded set. My question to you is, what coin would be a good example coin that would not break the bank. I would like to aquire a slabbed example of a coin in as many grades as I can. This way, while explaining to someone (Hoping to teach at some point) the value of a coin in relation to grade. Hands on is always the best.

Any input would be great.
Ray

Comments

• Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    Maybe a type set of odd/obsolete denominations and/or sizes. Like 2,3, and 20 cent pieces with a mix of large half cents and large cents.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    ccr,
    Great idea, to bring an example together of the no longer circulating coins would be a nice display. Interesting.

Thanks
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm also thinking about a graded set. My question to you is, what coin would be a good example coin that would not break the bank. I would like to aquire a slabbed example of a coin in as many grades as I can >>

I'd go with the Frankie Halfs. Many years of minting so there are lots to pick from. Relativly inexpensive. The coin has large fields and large plain devices so wear in different grades should be easy to notice. Plus, if yer looking to attract new interest the Frankies are good because they have been out of circulation for so long most people not in the hobby have either forgotten about them or never knew about them. Telling a newb. they are made of real silver too would be cool. image
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I must say this is fun, I have been trying to think of how I would like to focus our collection so that more people could enjoy the numismatic experiance. >>

Ray-

A type set would be the best way . . . take it as far as far as you can afford (as some pieces can be a bit pricey). I like the VF grade as you get excellent detail without being too expensive. I like the idea of starting with odd denominations as you get a great "oooh!" factor for the money.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most obvious way to get new collectors is the same way the current generation of collectors
    got started; filling folders of coins from circulation. Indeed, the most promising indication of
    the viability of the mass hobby in the future is the large numbers of obsolete clad quarter, clad
    dime, and nickel folders which are being sold. Many children and younger adults can't afford to
    spend large amounts of money for a single coin or for an entire collection, but the circulating
    coins can be found for face value. Most of the collectors doing this will return to the hobby in
    the future when their families are started and they have more disposable income. Of course
    there are even vaster numbers of people who are collecting the states issues from circulation.
    Generally we've not done a good job of encouraging these collectors to become more active in
    the hobby. Probably the best form of encouragement would be to get them interested in other
    circulating coinage, too, but there is a strong tendency to brush these people and their interests
    aside since they do tend to require a great deal of effort for a tiny little sale. It doesn't help that
    many collectors and insiders consider all later date coins to be little more than junk.

The mint spends many millions of dollars each year now to "grow the hobby", but the simplest
    ways to do this are being overlooked. They should be making all the coins available to people.
    Currently they sell only the nickel and the quarter and larger coins by the roll. Why not the
    cent and dime also? Why not produce folders for the circulating issues and provide them at
    low cost to customers? There are several common varieties which circulate, these could be
    included in the folders.

The ANA has greatly improved their recruitment efforts over the last several years and the mem-
    bership levels reflect this, but still much more could be done at a more elementary level.

The mint might be able to get the fed to encourage banks to be more accommodating with change
    requests from the general public. There is already some customer pressure on banks to more
    readily provide change and accept returns so there are moves in this direction. Perhaps the fed,
    could at low cost, facilitate this.

It is indeed great to see the large numbers of young and returning collectors and the great inter-
    est in coins among the general public and mass media. It is great to see the increased diversity
    in the race, sex, age etc of the newer collectors, but the numbers of people making the transition
    from accumulator/ hoarder to collector is still not extremely high.

typos

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I would suggest a grading set of silver Washington quarters. You wont get stuck in the FBL or non FBL situation that the Frankies would put you in. Also, I think you could assemble a nice grading set of what is becoming a more and more desirable series for a reasonable amount of money. Good Luck! Let us know what you decide.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file