Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Collecting, not by series, year, denomination, type, but by grade? 10 points of interest. Add your

Yep. Collecting just proof 70dcam and ms70 pcgs coins can sure alleviate a number of headaches.
1 - No question as to toning, no AT coins.
2 - No upgrading, regrading, cracking out, crossing, bodybags, etc.
3 - No grade-flation (simply pops)
4 - Varying "grade levels" within the 70 grade makes choosing the "right" 70 sometimes quite difficult and time consuming,
in others words, fun.
5 - A wide variety of series to choose from, regular issues, proofs, commems, bullion, etc.
6 - Internet search parameters are simple.
7 - All coins in the collection are pristine.
8 - Not unaffordable, some are much less expensive that one may assume.
9 - A lot better "conversation pieces" for the non-collectors.
10 - You don't HAVE to "play the game"...
What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I think I'll stick with my collection of "nice" Lincoln Cents. Steveimage
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "What do you think?"

Personally, 3/15 of my Registry sets are MS70 sets right now (modern 1/2 Dollar, Silver Dollar and $5 Gold Commems) - so I fall 20% into the MS/PR70 category. It had been 0% up until this year. But, I decided recently to build the (3) MS70 sets along with my 12 year old son. I mostly enjoy the concept of upgrading, crackouts, etc., as well as seeking color coins in various coin series, so you might say that is the "negative" of pursuing MS/PR70 coins to me. But, I can see how some collectors might greatly enjoy the notion of the "absolute" grade, which come with pursuing these perfect coins.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will stick to collecting what I like. There are no 70's in that series, and I am unimpressed with any of the series that do have 70's. Also, look at the 63 cent. No upside (there are no 71's), only downside.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    How about PCGS/NGC PO01 coins?
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly, I thought the same thing...
    70s make collecting easier, though there are difficulties finding just what you want.
    A "Braddick" type collection, closest to po01 as one can get, also has similar characteristics.
    They aren't "no brainers", it just limits the parameters to a level of relaxation. image
    ps. Po01s are harder than 70s... image
    pps. Where the H is Pat?
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not like collecting MS-70/PR70 as a general concept.

I do not like buying a coin that I like and then have an outside grading service telling me it is not theoretically possible for a finer coin to exist.

That bothers me.

I am still one of those purists that believe the MS-70/PR70 grade should be held in "reserve" for only the simply impossible coin.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Oreville. I feel the way you do, but am looking for a way to make my "coin life" easier.
    I can't think of a better way. How easy is your pursuit? I'm interested in the straightest path to ultimate fun, with coins.
    Got any ideas? image
    ps. limited bucks... image
  • Options
    Registry coin:

Ideas:

Rediscover the thrill of collecting the way you used to do as a kid. Buy rolls of BU or even circulated coins, buy some coins with holes in them, anything different, even books, just think outside the box.

This will help to avoid burnout with slabbed/registry coins. It also helps with the budget as well.

What sustained me for a while was my pursuit of a complettion of a set of Red Books. That was awesome and lots of fun. Just try to find those 1952-1953 Red Books!!! They are harder to find than even the 1947 Red Book!
  • Options
    Oh, one more thing. Easy?

Coin collecting is not supposed to be easy. If it were, you would nolt bother to collect coins.

Easy is a state of mind.
  • Options
    Not "easy", "easier". But, thank you Oreville for trying to bring me back to planet Earth. When it comes to rolls, been there done that. (Yada, yada, yada, no offense intended) Mints sets? Been there done that too. image
    How do you think one could put together the best Roosie, and Jeff, and Kennedy collection(s) of their time....? Just joking, but I am serious about this, as I have been through "it all", or at least a lot if it... image
    ...And am just trying to keep a leading edge to my collecting, while making it "easier" on myself... I don't know if my thoughts are coming across, but at least I thought they were well thought-out thoughts... image
  • Options
    How about collecting RARE coins where ther emphasis is not so much on grade? Sort of a free spirited approach?

Here's one I just won at a real BARGAIN in my opinion. A very tough coin to find in AU.
    Paid less than $640!!!

Mintage is only 25,000!!!!

• Options
    Since this is on the registry forum, I would assume that there would then need to be a defined set, i.e., "weighted averages" since some would be harder than others!!! Oh, now it gets interesting.image
    Dick
  • Options
    You mean a reg. set for just 70s? What a cool idea... good thinking!image
    I wish I had thought of it... image Hey HRH: listen to this guy...image
    ps. I just love the "dancing smiley" imageimageimageimageimage
    boom shakalakalaka boom... image
    pss. David. Do run this idea though the mill... I mean...I see it as a no brainer from your standpoint...a bunch of guys concentrating on pc70s?
    It's a "given", right?
    ty
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Pick a non-U.S. series. The dark side is totally open. Yes, there are grades and pops, but they don't mean anything yet.

Greg
  • Options
    Registry & WalkerGuy!image
  • Options
    OOOH, I have company in our embarrassment....Sorry O.
    I stick by my thoughts. They are well thought out, without any bias. image