Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Have coins taken over your life? No poll (one of those scary essay questions).

Dealers: Have you always been a dealer, or did something happen in your working life, so that you changed occupations, in favor of the coin market?
...and what attracted you to the reg. forum. Are you really a collector at heart?

Collectors: What made you get so intense about coins? Obviously there are coin collectors, and there are coin collectors (who hang
at the reg. forum for kicks, info, etc.) Is it a new lifestyle for you, and do you find your time here enjoyable? Or, like some, have you just "grown up" here (or, been here so long you don't remember why you started in the first place)?

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve: As you know, I practiced law for around 17 years before retiring in 7/02. All the while, I continued to collect coins - I actually started when I was around 7 or 8 years old. My last couple years as an attorney, I cut back to part-time, as ebay had simply become too much fun and I liked the new "Registry" concept. The "problem" is, of course, I am far too much of a collector at heart. Besides my (15) current active Registry sets and pattern nickel collection, I also continue to collect myriad other coins. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    So many question so many answers. First let me address this place, the friendships I have made here are the reasons I keep coming back. There are a lot of great people around here. Coins only got me here. I do enjoy my time here and would feel a deep lost if this place ever were taken away from me.

As for coin collecting. I can not get enough. So many to choose from and I can not make up my mind. I am probably one of the worst offenders of breaking the staying focused in your collecting rules. From 20th century types to modern glitter coins and then across the big pond to the darkside I love 'em all, I want 'em all. They are mine, ALL mine you hear me! Well at least the ones I can afford are.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch, Is there a common link toall 15 of your sets?
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Mitch, Is there a common link toall 15 of your sets?"

Yes, madness

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    It was 40 years ago that I collected pocket change. Then started again about two years ago.
    Now I collect my nickels and a few other decent coins that appeal to me.
    The boards provide information and amusement. Finding the boards was an inspiration and
    got me more intense on my collecting. I am interested in more than Jeffersons, but can't afford
    to expand my interests at this time. Completing my 38-64 Circ. Jefferson full step is a priority.
    Without this forum to learn from and the contacts, I wouldn't have the set that I have.

Bob Bean
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    I am not a dealer, just your average Joe American with a coin hobby.
    I became addicted to eBay a few years back when I saw a 1973-P PCGS MS66 Ike Dollar go for $500.
    I pulled out my mint 1973 Mint Sets and made (2) 73-P PCGS Ikes in 66 and sold
    one for $485.....(I'm still kickin' myself over that one!)
    I've been hooked ever since.

I USED to read the newspaper EVERY day 30-45 mins.....I've no longer get one.
    I USED to watch TV an hour or two a day.....Now, only with a lap top.
    Then I made (2) Pop 1 coins!!!!
    I USED to sleep 6-8 hours a day,.....now I sleep 4-5 image(
    I USED to go to work every day, (teaching middle school Science) now I'm on maternity leave,..doing eBay....
    I USED to swim 5 days a week,.....now I swim three.
    I USED to love Morgans
    Now, I LIKE IKE!

eBay has ignited a glowing ember of my childhood passion....Coins!
    HELP!!!!image

Gandyjaiimage
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    what a great response. ty image
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's difficult for me to remember a time when I didn't collect coins. I've always enjoyed history, and even as a kid in the mid-1950's I'd find a well worn Lincoln, Buffalo, Mercury, Standing Liberty, or Walker and wonder about what it may have been used for since the time it was issued. Before I could really afford to collect them, I saved all of the obsolete coins I could on my meager allowance. I like those same coins today, but since the time I started working I've bought mint state coins whenever possible, and my interests have broadened considerably.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I became addicted to coin collecting when my brother would take me to the coin shop when I was around 5 years old. I would go to the mall where I would go to the "Cherryvale Coins and Stamps". I was actually to short to touch the button on the rotating display to make the coins go around so I could look at them. Some where I stopped and tried other hobbies, as Baseball cards and the such. I always came back to coins. I still go to the store and the same lady still owns the store 30 years later. I go in there about 1x a month and for the life of me I cannot remember her name. 30 years ago, I used to buy Nickels, as she had several displays of blue velvet trays with very shiney new nickels going back to 1938. She had them is 2 x 2 flips and had several to choose from. I wish I still had those.

My father bought me an 1838 half dollar that was in Mint state condition, but didn't care much for it. I traded it for a 1973-S 40% silver proof Ike dollar back in the day when they went for $175 raw!

Thats my BIGGEST regret.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.