Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Nickels ......... Opinions ? (on the coins quality)

4-24-04: I appreciate the direction this discussion has taken, as it has brought some interesting historical info to light .
I'm hoping that i can ressurect this thread back to my original intention of getting info about the quality of this new Nickel issue, as others are seeing it. Maybe post pics of what you're seeing as far as damage. What grades as per conditions....... That kind of stuff. Thanks
Got this today out of a CoinValues magazine. I've heard a lot of grumbling here about how bad they look. Take a look at my pics and tell me if this is a typical look for what your seeing on ones you get. (same coin, two different light souces)

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    To me, it's pretty blah... no steps though. image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I think they are image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    ss350,
    That reverse is typical of the quality I saw in rolls. Those gashes in the hand, cuff, and fingers will preclude any decent grade on that coin.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    FragmentumFragmentum Posts: 174 ✭✭
    The designs are OK but the quality of the pieces in the rolls I received from both P & D SUCK!!!!
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're a little dull, but OK. I like 'em somewhat.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I've had a few people at work come up to me asking why they put golf clubs on the coin. image
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options

<< <i>That reverse is typical of the quality I saw in rolls. Those gashes in the hand, cuff, and fingers will preclude any decent grade on that coin. >>

Ok, Thanks. Now at least i have a reference to go by if i get any more.
  • Options
    I do find it to be a bit oxymoronic (not a real word) that we call it a Peace Medal. How many times did the "white men" Break their agreements? We juked them over, we stole their land, and we forced them to adopt our culture even though their culture was thousands of years old. I am not trying to start a war about this, I am just pointing out the funny ways our government seems to choose the commemoration of "peace"/ Betrayal of a people and cover up 500 years of history. I found it thought provoking. Opinions???
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't.
  • Options

<< <i>I do find it to be a bit oxymoronic (not a real word) that we call it a Peace Medal. >>

Yeah, that word does seem to fit (even if Webster won't recognize it). It was more of a cease-and-desist medal.
    You shout in your sleep.
    Perhaps the price is just too steep.
    Is your conscience at rest if once put to the test?
    You awake with a start to just the beating of your heart.
    Just one man beneath the sky,
    Just two ears, just two eyes.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The relief is so low on these, it has a feel of play money. The design is OK, if only for it's historic roots. I'm glad the Mint is trying some innovative things.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    "I do find it to be a bit oxymoronic (not a real word) that we call it a Peace Medal. How many times did the "white men" Break their agreements? We juked them over, we stole their land, and we forced them to adopt our culture even though their culture was thousands of years old. I am not trying to start a war about this, I am just pointing out the funny ways our government seems to choose the commemoration of "peace"/ Betrayal of a people and cover up 500 years of history. I found it thought provoking. Opinions???"

Who called this nickel a Peace Medal? Why are you going on and on about Native Americans? This coin celebrates the Louisiana Purchase which was between the U.S. and Spain. I'm not saying that the "white man" didn't screw Native Americans (they did), but this has nothing to do with Louisiana Purchase or the coin's design.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Well, OK So I'm an idiot!image But why does the nickel show what I percieve to be a Native americans hand (I gathered that from what looks to be a Peace pipe with the axe) I am not good with history. But actually it wasn't Spain, it was France in 1803. I'll go away and lick my wounds now. image
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't.
  • Options
    BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    I've only held a couple of these. Both looked like 10 year old circulated coins even
    though they were fresh from the mint. The design is *yawwwn* typical of recent.
    I'll look to get a few nice graded examples at some point. I'm sure you'll be seeing
    slabbed 66's and 67's on ebay within two years for $10.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Who called this nickel a Peace Medal? >>

It's not called a Peace Medal, but it is based on the old Peace Medal design.
    You shout in your sleep.
    Perhaps the price is just too steep.
    Is your conscience at rest if once put to the test?
    You awake with a start to just the beating of your heart.
    Just one man beneath the sky,
    Just two ears, just two eyes.
  • Options

<< <i>but it is based on the old Peace Medal design. >>

Thats what I thought
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    PCGS calls it Peace Medal. So does the US Mint.....
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    on Quality, at the very least they could have it struck deeper or have more design. I keep hearing people with brand new nickels from the bank with bad scratches. that would make higher grades more valuable as time goes on, that and the fact that this would be key date (beginning of series). image
  • Options
    Didn't open any rolls, but that's the quality of the bags.
    Must say that I have a number of clean fields on many coins and
    a few with really nice luster to go.
    Did a quick sorting of a couple bags. Had a few machine doubling in "GOD",
    and a bunch of die crack "d"s.
    The pic's you show... I'm spending those just to put them in circulation.
    I'm not impressed with the design, and can't find the steps as many many others have noted also!

Bob
  • Options
    Lousy relief, and all I've seen are edge-nicked a bunch. I kinda like the design, but have yet to see an example I'd keep in my collection.
    You're now official, Bubba 4/24/04
  • Options
    This is what the original medal looked like.

I just started a new thread in this forum with a link to an interesting article about it. LINK
    Dave - Durham, NC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file