Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Kointain Holders in Dansco Albums?

MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
My wife recently bought a raw uncirculated Mercury Dime in a 2X2. We opened up the 2X2 and it was in a little bitty plastic holder that you could barely see. We didn't even know it was there until we opened the 2X2. I believe this is a Kointain holder which I read about before. I really like this. I've seen airtites before, but never seen a Kointain holder before. Well anyways, I did a search on them and one site selling them said that you can use them in slide type albums provided you use the next size up album and the gave the example of using a dime in a Kointain in an album designed for cents.

This sounds like a really good idea if someone wanted to use a Dansco album for nice uncirculated coins or Proofs because then you wouldn't have to qorry about the plastic slides scratching the coin. I bet you wouldn't even be able to tell they were in Kointain holders in the album. I believe that you can order unlabeled pages too so you wouldn't have to put a dime in a slot labeled 1909 VDB or anything. Anybody ever try this? Would any other coins besides dimes work (i.e. would a nickel work in a quarter album)?Thanks, in advance, for any replies.
MrSpud

Comments

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you can buy pages in MM sizes. Don't think you will get the fit you want with the regular sizes.image
    Larry

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat idea. As the previous post mentioned, you can buy Dansco pages in custom millimeter sizes, so you could figure out what your diameter is of a coin in the holder, and go from there.

I was gonna say that thickness might be a problem, but I was thinkin' AirTites, not Kointains, I guess. Kointains are those really close-fitting little clear plastic "shells", right? That might work.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I remember the first time I saw a Kointain...I had never heard of them before, and had an Indian Head Cent in a cardboard 2x2 that was in one. I went to put it in a Dansco album, and that's when I discovered it! I was pretty confused at first, I'll tell you!imageimage
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, we were pretty confused too when we first saw the coin in the Kointain (which, by the way are indeed small clear plastic shells, much smaller than Airtites). We thought it was coated with something at first. I looked up pages for Danscos and found the mm sizes. This idea comes just in time for me. I just finally finished a Dansco Album for Jeffersons that are mainly made up of the coins I had in an old Whitman album from when I was a kid. Only the Dansco album didn't have any places for the proofs which I have also just started purchasing. I had contemplated getting a blank nickel page for the proofs but I was worried about the slides scratching so I wasn't going to do it. Now I can. image
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I'm always looking for new/different ideas for displaying the collection. I might check these out as well.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A real good idea IMO.
  • Options
    I love them - use them before putting in 2 x 2's also - for those more special coins ...... hadn't thought of using in book tho - good idea.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file