Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    It looks like it's made out of chocolate. Very odd looking.
    Gary
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably corroded, cleaned and and/or tooled. Or it could be chocolate. Tough to say from the image.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Restrike?

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a dug coin that has been oiled.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Shoedog, its an authentic 1794 Large Cent, Sheldon 65 variety, but the coin has been heavily burnished( polished), most likely to remove heavy corrosion on both obverse and reverse. By the way, this is an R-1, common variety.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    Check out the high bidders feedback.All from the same seller who happens to be the seller of this coin.Does that seem suspect.Combined with the fact that that coin is bid up to perhaps twice what its worth.image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    real, but common variety. obv. has been heavily burnished

K s
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    its hard to find 1794 coins in much better shape. it looks funny but the didn't use the finest metals or have the best presses

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    It's the "Shielded Hair" variety....very common. That is one ugly coin that is worth only $350 on a very good day.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the comments above. Burnished, corroded, recolored; plus it has no upside because it's common and one can easily find a better S-65. Blatant shill bidding, coin is not worth nearly that much, not even half. Make a note of the seller's user ID and don't bid in their auctions.
  • Options
    Looks like colored wax was applied and polished, probably to fill in pits and dings from corrosion.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file