Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone have 2004 Nicks at PCGS right now? -

The POPs are staying low on these. 30 for both mints graded so far. I have gone though 100 rolls of each and have yet to send in any. Slim pickens from what I can see. A "P" mint 67 may well be a rare coin indeed and a 68 "D" is going to be very tough. Anyone have some at PCGS and care to give what they think they will get in grades?

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I have about 500 in at bulk service!!!

NOT!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that the vast majority of high grade circulating moderns come from mint sets -- of which the 2004 has not yet been released. Somebody may be lucky to pull a 67 or 68 from a roll, but I suspect once the mint sets start flowing 67s will be common as dirt, 68s genuinely collectable, and a fair number of 69s as well.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Clack

i have a D that i plucked from some rolls that i'll be sending in for certification as MS66. the strike and luster on these issues doesn't seem to be a problem, all i've seen look frosty and nice. the bagmarks, though, are another story.

al h.image
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Flam - I disagree that the vast majority of high grade coins will come from the mint sets. The mint uses, from what I understand the same coins as come in the rolls as in the mint sets. When rolls are avail I believe the high qual coins come from the rolls. I made the POP1 2003-d MS67FS from a roll along with a hand ful of other POP top stuff from rolls. Mint sets just don't, IMO give you enough coins to look at to get the really HQ coins.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 4 D-mints I am going to have dropped off at the Central States show. In looking at the number currently on ebay, I suspect Monday's pop report update will show a dramatic increase.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    "Keep in mind that the vast majority of high grade circulating moderns come from mint sets..."

Hmmmm. I'm not so convinced. I've seen a fair number of mint sets and the coins look no better than those I get in change at the local McDonald's.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that the vast majority of high grade circulating moderns come from mint sets

hey Bob

how can i say this nicely--------wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!!! while it's true nice coins can be found in Mint Sets, the general quality of those coins is no better than roll coins.

al h.image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I threw one in my last submission from a roll I opened.

None in the roll were very good - pretty dinged up , I may get a 65.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the post-'65 coins were available in rolls as gems and superb gem. There are
    many specific date gems that are so scarce in rolls that it's entirely possible that none
    were saved from this source. There are also some coins which are extremely elusive in
    rolls at all. Rolls like 69-P quarters are exceptionally elusive and the odds of finding even
    a single choice gem from this source is poor. For many of the moderns this leaves only
    the mint sets as a viable source for gem coins.

Mint set coins are struck on single presses rather than the quad presses on which most
    coins intended for circulation are struck. They are also struck under somewhat higher
    pressure than other coins. All mint set coins are struck from new dies or at least dies
    which are relatively new. For quarters this means fewer than 30,000 strikes. Unlike cir-
    culation coins these are also washed and dried after striking. While the extra care does
    not gaurantee that the coins will be gems, it does ensure that they'll be generally much
    better struck than other coins.

There are many factors which have to come together to make a gem and this can be ex-
    tremely rare on some modern issues. But these factors can most assuredly come togeth-
    er on either a mint set or a regular coin.

In very recent times (ultra-moderns) there are significant numbers of people searching for
    the gems. This was not true a few years back. Before 1999 there was very little chance
    that a current gem would be identified and saved from circulation. Now a significant per-
    centage of the coins going into circulation are screened so of course there are more high
    grade coins coming from this source.

It should also be remembered that in the mid-'80's the relief was dramatically lowered on
    the coins. This has resulted in a much larger percentage of coins being well-struck since
    the dies wear much more slowly and there is less distance for metal to move in the strike.
    This has dramatically reduced the huge advantage that the mint sets used to have, ie that
    they are well struck.

So it depends on what coin you're looking for and it's impossible to know what the quality
    of the mint set nickels will be this year until they begin getting shipped. But with most '65-
    '98 coins the best will be found in the mint sets and for some there is almost no other source.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    I did well with my recent submission:

• Options
    >>> did well with my recent submission: 9021436

Congrats on the 2003-D in 66FS. A tough coin. No 67's with the 04-D's? THe 66 for the 04-P should be a good one.

• Options
    >>>In looking at the number currently on ebay, I suspect Monday's pop report update will show a dramatic increase.

I am looking at them and the completed for sale items and not a single 67, 66's from the "P" mint are scarce and even the "D" 66's bring good money.

Ray got one of the "D" 67's for about $250, it may turn out to be a steal.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the 04'd's in 67 are going to be scarce, I won't sell mine. The 04d's in 66 are also tough but the 04p's in 66 and above are real tough. The mint sets are going to yield little in my opinion. Just like the 03's. I'm holding out my best 04p's currently till I see pop's in 6 months.....image I have 8 04's at PCGS currently.
  • Options
    POPs updated over the wekend. Now there are 7 "D" in 67 and still "0" P's. 51 "D"'s in 66.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file