Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking for some help and/or advice

At one time, my father had an excellent collection. However, when he passed on, it was eenie-meenied out of the holders and books and into coffee cans. Whole sets were divided. UGH. I am pretty sure that I have some really nice pieces, but hardly know where to start-beyond separating and listing what I have into types and dates. I have a few Indian head pennies, Morgans, Peace, Sac's, lots of silver Roosevelts, Mercurys, etc. Unfortunately, all of the books and little cardboard things that hold the individual coins are gone. I would hate for the next recipient of these coins to feel as if they are nothing more than some old spending money. Any advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated, as well as how do you get coins graded, and is it safe.

Comments

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    First get them out of the cans and into 2X2's.Then go to the Library and check out The Redbook.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go to the library first. The coins wont mind another day in the cans.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I would add do not try to clean them or change their appearence in any way. Joe
  • Options
    I am totally green here. Is a 2x2 the little cardboard thing the coins were in when my father had them graded?
  • Options
    And welcome to the boards
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and for now, set aside the notion of "have them graded"

there will be time for that, oh, plenty of time..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I never expected such quick responses. What do I look for in the library?
  • Options
    So, in other words, I need to turn it all back into a collection?
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Go to this website ANA Club listing.

See if there is a club located near where you live. If there is contact them and tell them what you have, that you don't want to sell it, that you just want to identify what you have. If a local club is not available, check your yellow pages for a local coin dealer. Tell him the same thing. If both of these don't pan out, go to your local library or book store and find a copy of "The Red Book". Each of these should help you identify what you have, and perhaps get a general idea of the value. I wouldn't worry about getting anything graded until you cataloged and sorted out the coins you have. Grading can be a fairly expensive, & tedious undertaking, so I would recommend only grading what you've identified as the most valuable items, and then only if you have the desire to sell.

Do not try to clean any of the coins!! This is imperative because any possible value would be diminished by cleaning. Collectors generally do not have to have "REEAAALLLL SHINEY" coins!! I would also pick up some inexpensive 2x2 cardboard holders to put the coins in to protect them and help you catalog them.

Hope all this helps, and good luck!!
    J'har
  • Options
    Thank you. I had read about not cleaning the coins, and I will check out that club listing. I had gone to a local dealer, and he was the guy who said I just had a bunch of old spending money. Even as green as I am, I new that just couldn't be right. I'm off to my library site to look for 'the red book'. Thanks again for the start.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards.

I would like to agree with others--do not attempt to clean any of the coins it ruins their value.
    If you don't have a library near by a book store or stores like Hobby Lobby will carry Red Books. I suggest getting one before you look at what you have.
    If there are uncirculated coins in the bunch, please get yourself a pair of light cotton glove, to prevent putting fingerprints on the coins.
    (And, it looks like you made a smart move by asking for advice, before taking a chance of ruining coins!)

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I have 50 mercurys, but my 'list' does not show what you seem to need. I will look again after I put on some gloves.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. Try to hold the coins by the edges or rub them against anything either,
    This isn't important unless they are unc, but even worn collectible coins should be treated
    gently.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    luckydolphin,

In defense of your dealer (and I don't defend them ofter), he may be right so don't get your hopes up. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but nearly everybody has a collection of old coins that unfortunately have little value. I just don't want you to think you'll be able to retire now that you've acquired this collection.

Just because the coins are old and/or made of silver does not make them valuable. The number 1 thing that makes a coin valuable is "collectability". Their are other variables but if a coin has many collectors standing in line to buy it, it has real value. Supply and demand!

With that said, even coins that have little collectability can, at the very least, spark a passion for collecting. Over 30 years ago my Grandfather gave me a jar full of wheat pennies, mercury dimes, and other items that he had saved from years before. Those coins were worth very little, but the appreciation they gave me for numismatics was priceless.

With that said, their have been stories of incredible finds so you never know.

Good luck!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.

Get a redbook. Easy to find at library or bookstore.
    Figure out what you got.
    Post a list of what you got and we can help from there.

Got a digital camera? post pictures here: even more useful.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

..... and pay attention to these guys around here. You can learn a lot from them!!! Good people.
    You're now official, Bubba 4/24/04
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Folks, recommending to a newbie that they should go to the library and check out "The Redbook" is great and very practical advice. But you really need to tell them the proper name of the book! A Guidebook of United States Coins by R S Yeoman. If they go in and ask for "The Redbook", they will be refered to a womans magazine.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    How you handle them is very important especially by chance there happens to be some
    valuable, maybe even uncirculated pieces in there. Just because a coin is not shiny/ new looking does not mean that it is not uncirculated. Take your time, handle them carefully. Do not drag them across a bare table, Either get what is called a jeweler's tray or a really soft T shirt to lay some out a little at a time.

Bad enough the coins have been in contact with one another but do not subject them to any mishandling such as jossling them around in the can or holding them anywhere else but between your thumb and index finger-Hold them on the rims-NOT the surfaces and under NO circumstances-no ,matter how tempting, do not wipe them with anything-not even your T shirt!
    I also strongly advocate learning. Perhaps join The American Numismatic Association and take courses on grading etc. If you need a sponsor, let me know....It's been so long I forgot if you need to be sponsored anymore! WELCOME to the boards!image and the world of coin collecting

One more thing. If you should decide to sell anything, the very last place you want to sell them is a coin dealer(sorry fellas). They will give you as little as possible (Blue Book) so as to maximize profit. That's the Nature of the game. You are better off here where people will help you.
  • Options
    Just be glad you didn't get rid of them to the dealer. I'm highly doubting he went through every coin and then came to the conclusion that it was "just old spending money". I would definately do some research and learn a few things before dealing with coin dealers. In the event that you do have something worth a decent amount, I would recommend eBay as your first choice, as there the buyers are mainly other collectors and are for the most part going to pay more than a dealer would offer you.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the advice. 2x2's are coming and I'm researching to find out just what it is I have. Thank you all once again. image
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    luckydolphin
    Keep us updated on what you find.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they go in and ask for "The Redbook", they will be refered to a womans magazine. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Welcome aboard! I don't have anything to add, the advice is all good. Once you get an idea of what you have and a general idea of value, then you can decide what to do next. And if you have any questions at all, or any doubts, come here and ask! image
  • Options
    This is the book you want -- but purchase the spiral-bound version; don't waste money on the hardcover.

Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    The 2005 red book should be out any day now. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file