Home Sports Talk
Options

Sox - Yankees Series II

aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
The Red Sox won the opener tonight 11-2 behind 6 strong innings from Derek Lowe. The Yankees used four pitchers of which maybe one will be with them at seasons end (Contreras 10.64, Osborne, Proctor, Gamble). Sox lead season series so far 4-1. Brown and Arroyo tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    Go Sox!
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    Sox win the second game of the series in thrilling fashion 3-2 in 11 innings. Great starting pitching by Brown and Arroyo and strong relief work by Gordon, Rivera, Williamson, Embree, Foulke and Timlin. Sox left a lot of runners early (14 in all) but the winning run was great. Double by Ramirez, ground out to second by VTek and a sac Fly by Bellhorn.
    Sox have now taken 5 out of 6 from the Yankees with Pedro starting tomorrow against Vazquez on three days rest and Rivera having thrown 40 pitches today.
  • Options
    if your pitchers are named Procter and Gamble, that's never a good sign
  • Options
    As a long suffering sox fan I am enjoying these games against the yankees.
    Remember the immortal words of former sox gm Dan Duquette.......
    "we spent more time in 1st place than any other team" I think the sox missed the playoffs that year.
    Its what counts after the 162 are played.
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    I think the rule in the AL for pitchers opposing the Yankees is give them nothing to swing at until they are so frustrated they swing at bad pitches.

As things are for the moment it looks like another city has a chance to do it again with NY finishing 3rd in the East this time.As a Yankee fan I am very disapointed in their performance.Many complained about the pitching at the start of the season but this is not even the centerpoint of the issue.At the start of the season they had the best team on paper where from 1-8 you have a lineup that's dangerous.

As a baseball fan I'm really happy to see quite a few teams came out of the gate on fire.I'm kind of happy that the AL East looks a little more competitive this season.Baltimore and Tampa Bay are going to give both Boston and NY trouble.Toronto turned into Tampa and the only chance they have to win is with Halliday who picked up where he left off last year.

Look at Boston's Bullpen...I think they have 20 scoreless innings and they have enough starting pitching & offense to secure the East at the rate they are going.No Nomar right now,Pedro supposidly lost some velocity, but I don't think any of it will matter when all is said and done if the Team keeps going at the rate they are.

It's really possible that NY will snap out of it and probably will,but right now the Yankees are the team to beat.They are the team everyone's happy to slaughter and laugh at like the 62 Mets and the 03 Tigers.It's possible they will scrape by and get the WC but right now I find it hard to believe at the rate they are going.

• Options
    sox about to go up 6-1 in the season seriesimage
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    Boston sweeps at Yankee Stadium!
  • Options
    RobE - Even though I am a huge Red Sox fan I think it is a little premature to be writing off the Yankees. They still have Rivera, and they have a deep and strong lineup. Also, do not write off the Blue Jays so quickly, they will hit and their starting pitching is better than people will give them credit for.

That said, I am really happy the Sox have taken 6 out of 7 from the Yankees so far. Especially with an offense that has two players hitting over .280 and without Nixon and Nomar.
  • Options
    Where are all the loudmouth Yankees fans who were already buying their WS tickets a few weeks ago? Not here when they're losing? Sound like fairweather fans to me.
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭

<< <i>RobE - Even though I am a huge Red Sox fan I think it is a little premature to be writing off the Yankees. They still have Rivera, and they have a deep and strong lineup. Also, do not write off the Blue Jays so quickly, they will hit and their starting pitching is better than people will give them credit for.

That said, I am really happy the Sox have taken 6 out of 7 from the Yankees so far. Especially with an offense that has two players hitting over .280 and without Nixon and Nomar. >>

I'm not writing them off I'm just saying if they keep it up as things are then they are done.Believe me I'm waiting to see them turn it around but if not I wouldn't be surprised.What I'm waiting for is to see a nice P!ssed off NYY team just show up an play like they are expected.Unfortunately it's not the 98 team who were together for a few years and knew how to play with eachother.I think thisn team is still working out the buggs.

As for Mo...I think anytime you see him (other than Saturday image ) you can guarantee it's a NY "W"

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Clearly, I am a die-hard Sox fan. And, this is a great series sweep for us. It may be April, but if this keeps up...maybe we won't need to worry about NY come October. image
  • Options
    yea go redsox
    Lets Go Ravens
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • Options
    "It ain't over 'till it's over."

-Renounded intellect and baseball historian. image
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...