Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Were They Tough Or Loose On Grading Bust Material In The Early Years?

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've often wondered how was the grading of Bust material at the beginning of certification. Mainly 1986-1989. I was collecting Walkers at the time, so I wasn't looking at these type coins.

Were they tough on any kind of problems, or did they give them a bit of slack as they sometimes do today?
Any input appreciated. Did they bag coins for a light cleaning, rim bumps etc?
Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It varied a bit at PCGS, but I think in general, experienced graders evaluated them similarly to today's standards with respect to light circulation marks and very light cleanings. Basically, the worse the damage, the lower the net grade, and if severe enough, the BB.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    if you mean plastic co's, loose & inconsistent. they still are.

K S
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to add: the wildcat and startup TPGs were all over the map, much like today. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stman,

I can't speak for the startup years, but for 1990-1995, they were the same for evaluating "problems" - scratches, dipped, wiped, even light graffiti, with net grading for these. They are justifiably more lenient on early bust coins because of their rarity.

What has changed on early bust coins is grading standards from 1990-1995. Not as much on PCGS, but I am leary of some NGC graded flowing hair and draped bust halves. The market shows this, with many NGC AU50 Draped Bust coins realizing only $1600-$1900 at auction the past year. Accurately graded 1806-07 AU50 halves will realize $2200-$3000, or more. NGC "no lines" were tough, most are probably cracked out by now.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. It seems to be agreed that they have always kind of "net graded" many of these older classics for minor problems. Unless of course the problems are too bad.

Speaking of classics... for those that didn't see me post this, here is an oldie you probably don't see too often. I love it, basically our first dollar design and first generation PCGS holder. It doesn't rattle either.

• Options
    based on the obv. only, that's an appropriate grade, & a very nice coin.

a noble coin like that deserves to be freed from it's plastic prison - please crack it out.

K S
  • Options

<< <i>a noble coin like that deserves to be freed from it's plastic prison - please crack it out. >>

LOL, hey I'm tempted but she looks so nice and comfortable in her cell. I thinks she might be institutionalized.

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I dig that dollar coin! Despite Dorkkarl's negative feelings towards encapsulation, I feel that a coin of that worth is a least safer in the holder and should remain there! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    you cannot read the edge when it's stuck in plastic like that. you're missing out on 1/3 of the coin.

K S
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    you cannot read the edge when it's stuck in plastic like that. you're missing out on 1/3 of the coin.

That's an interesting arguement I've heard on several occasions. I collect bust halves, but have never personally felt that the edge lettering constitutes 1/3 of the coin. To me, the edge lettering means very little- does it mean that much to you dorkkarl, or to anybody else reading this?? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>To me, the edge lettering means very little- does it mean that much to you dorkkarl, or to anybody else reading this?? >>

Actually I'm DYING to see the edge lettering on the dollar I posted. The old PCGS slab allows you to catch a peak of it..... which newer slabs don't seem to. I can peak in there and catch a glimpse. Just enough for a tease.

Nysoto..... I thought you only collected the half dollars?
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On these early coins, the edge is very important. There are collectors who will get extra delight at finding specimens with mint-made problems with the lettering. These "problems" are more prevalent with the Turb halves than any other Bustie.

I guarantee you that there is hardly any greater thrill than to hold a large [raw] cartwheel from our nation's nascent years...

EVP

[edited also to add that this looks to be a very nice coin. Congrats!]

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    you really should crack it out. you are missing out!!!

K S
  • Options

<< <i> you cannot read the edge when it's stuck in plastic like that. you're missing out on 1/3 of the coin.

That's an interesting arguement I've heard on several occasions. I collect bust halves, but have never personally felt that the edge lettering constitutes 1/3 of the coin. To me, the edge lettering means very little- does it mean that much to you dorkkarl, or to anybody else reading this?? image >>

Yes it can be important, I have an 1810 that has completely doubled edge lettering and you can clearly make out every letter (none are overlapping) it makes for quite interesting reading. Now if I could only find a way to get a quality picture showing the edge all the way around.
  • Options

<< <i>you cannot read the edge when it's stuck in plastic like that. you're missing out on 1/3 of the coin.

That's an interesting arguement I've heard on several occasions. I collect bust halves, but have never personally felt that the edge lettering constitutes 1/3 of the coin. To me, the edge lettering means very little- does it mean that much to you dorkkarl, or to anybody else reading this?? >>

this may come across the wrong way, so i apologize in advance - don't intend it as a slam. but if the edge lettering means so little to you, then you're not collecting bust halves, you're just buying them. i think you ought to switch gears - maybe buy reeded edge bust halves or seated coins. you'll appreciate them more, because they essentially only have 2 sides.

do you even know what the edge of a lettered-edge bust half says?

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file