Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3Cent nickel book

If you like the series, you'll like this book and it's massive and expensive but worth it. image
If you're not into them you probably won't want to spend the $175 & shipping.
Thought i'ed pass this info on to everyone.

Can order them @ (314) 831-8898

Hope this info is useful to someone.

Dave
Love those toned Washingtons

Comments

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    wait a minute ...... are you the author?

K S
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the book? Who wrote it and when? Any links?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hey Dave, thanks for posting this info. It is a phenomenal book that is a "must have" for anyone who collects Three Cent Nickels. In fact, if you only own a few Proof or Mint State Three Cent Nickels then the $175 cost of this book could be a great investment. We spoke with the author throughout the development of the book and learned that many certified Mint State Three Cent Nickels (all grading services) are actually Proofs, and vice versa. It can be extremely difficult to determine the differences between proof and mint state examples and much of the information known to numismatists in the past has not been completely accurate. This book provides information that is invaluable.

Since we know the author we offered to advertise his book on our web site. Please note that we are not trying to drum-up business by posting this. We receive $0 for any of the books sold through our web site and at shows. We are helping to sell the book because we think that it contains very important information.

Link To The Three Cent Nickel Book On Our Web Site

The above link will give you a preview of what the book looks like.

Dennis
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    But whose the author?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Dennis and others, sorry i should of posted more info concerning the " Ultimate guide to U.S. Three Cent Nickels". image
    Just trying to pass on some helpful info. and heavens no i'm not the author.
    Dennis, that will teach me to visit your site more often!

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting . . . it's about time somebody wrote a detailed book on the series. Based on the table of contents, however, I am a little disappointed that the History is one page, the Minting Process is one page, and the Die Making Process is four pages. I would certainly have hoped that more history and technology would have been included (perhaps it is included in other parts of the text). Don't get me wrong, I will buy the book and it will be a nice edition to my library, but so many books today focus varieties, rarity, pricing, trends, and other "stuff" and the academic research seems to be an afterthought. While varieties are rarities are fun, the real intrigue is the history and politics of a coin series.

As always, just one person's opinion.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    I would certainly have hoped that more history and technology would have been included (perhaps it is included in other parts of the text).

Lane, the text on the mid-19th century minting process is phenomenal. Best I have ever seen. There's more information on history and technology than the table of contents would indicate.

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    But whose the author?

Allan Gifford. He resides in St. Louis.

• Options

<< <i>Lane, the text on the mid-19th century minting process is phenomenal. Best I have ever seen. There's more information on history and technology than the table of contents would indicate. >>

Cool . . . I am looking forward to reading the book. Thanks for posting the link.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Is it printed on gold leaf?
  • Options
    I just ordered my copy . . .

I spend quite a while on the phone talking with the author, Allen Gifford (314-831-8898). This guy knows his stuff! He has published some information on dies and coining that is, up until now, unknown. If you like the series or mid-late 19th century coins, but the book. It is VERY expensive for such a specialized series, but all good work is. It is more than a "spot the variety" book.

Lane

P.S. Thanks quarterjack for posting this to the board today and thanks JadeRareCoin for promoting the book on your website.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just called him and spoke with him/ordered the book, too.

This guy's done a good deal of research on die varieties and die states of both the PR and MS. That hasn't been very much about the series out there other than Flynn & Fletcher, and he's corrected some things Breen got wrong.

A very nice man, as well. I very much enjoyed visiting with him. He likes varieties, so I told him about Coppercoins! Invited him to join us here, as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing his book!
  • Options
    keep us posted!

K S
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Something like this has been long overdue. Looking forward to seeing the book.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file