Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My (mostly) serious thoughts on the classic vs. modern argument...

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the dust.
    New post under construction. image
  • Options
    My serious thoughts on the, now classic (and fading) argument, "classics vs. moderns"...
    I think that once one has a command of the basically finite classic market, or as much as they desire,
    there are some choices to be made.
    One idea would be to go deep into the (infinite) research, and greater understanding available within a certain series, year, or another delineation of the classic market.
    Another tack may be to learn about something completely different within numismatics. To some, an exiciting "new" (infinite) aspect to learn about may be "modern" coins.
    Those who choose this, possibly new direction do not have a fault in their education, guidence, abilities, personality or intellingence. It is just a personal choice in time. image
    On the other hand, staying concentrated on the "classics" is less exciting, less invigorating (to me). Learn something completely new, I say. It adds, in unrealized ways, to the education one has within the series already "digested".
    A generic "that market will crash" just won't do, any more. There ARE many specific areas of interest that have provided a positive track record, and show much promise. Gathering information and doing research are necessary in the "moderns"..... and really fun too! image
    There have been winners and losers in the modern coin market, as in stocks, classic coins, metals, and the list goes on...
    But the education is available to anyone who has the desire to expand their numismatic knowledge, and recognized by only those with open minds.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will stick with idea 1.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    And that is...
    Don't bite the apple??? imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>My serious thoughts on the, now classic argument, "classics vs. moderns"...
    I think that once one has a command of the basically finite classic market, or as much as they desire,
    there are some choices to be made.
    One idea would be to go deep into the (infinite) research, and greater understanding available within a certain series, year, or another delineation of the classic market.
    Another tack, may be to learn about something else regarding numismatics. To some, an exiciting "new" (infinite) thing to learn may be "modern" coins.
    Their, possibly, new direction is not a fault of a person's education, guidence, abilities, or intellengence. It is just a personal choice. image
    On the other hand, stagnating in the "classics" is boring.... (to me). Learn something new, I say. A generic "that market will crash" just won't do, any more. There ARE many specific areas of interest that have provided and shown much promise. Gathering information and doing research are necessary in the "moderns"..... and really fun too! image
    There have been winners and losers in the modern coin market, as in stocks, classic coins, metals, and the list goes on...
    But the education is available to anyone who has the desire to expand their numismatic knowledge, and recognized by only those with open minds. >>

• Options
    I understand, DD55. Sometimes we knock heads, sometimes we agree. Sorry for the sarcasm.
    Seriously, again, I see genuine arguments for both options, and respect both, as I had this same decision to make...
    Moderns, then classic commems, now moderns again.
    I can see how to some, that doesn't make sense...
    But to me, it's all numismatics. image
  • Options
    Steve,

Nothing wrong with your decision. For me it was going from trying to complete a whole bunch of sets to trying to specialize in one area. To each his (or her) own certainly applies. No wrong way to be a coin collector.
  • Options

<< <i>No wrong way to be a coin collector. >>

Agreed...There it is in a nutshell. image
    Next subject for agreement...."Collectors vs. Dealers, Collectors vs Collectors, Dealers vs. Dealers,"
    We just love these people....and love to hate 'em...
    What is really our problem...?"
    and following that lively discussion, and its demise ....
    Let's go to that pesky "pcgs/ngc" discussion. That's always a goodie.....
    Maybe we can put that one to bed too...
    and move on... image
  • Options
    One of the "floating answers" in the Big Picture is up to the new generation of collectors...
    They, too, have a choice of "classic vs. moderns" BUT...
    They may not agree, ie., coins from '32 on..., '59 on..., '64 on..., are "Moderns". They are all old coins, old dates.
    1600's, 1700's, 1800's, 1900's, it's all in the past.
    Perhaps to them, "Moderns" are coins with a "born on date" after their own. (well maybe not to that extreme, but...)
    In other words, unless you want to consider a third side to this issue, "Ultra Moderns" perhaps,
    it is time to "let it go".... image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the long run there really isn't any difference between classic and modern. Oh sure,
    I fully understand how classic collectors usually find the moderns and certainly there are
    real differences in metallic content, mintages, etc., etc.... While most classic collectors
    will probably never embrace moderns it is very likely, even a virtual certainty, that collectors
    will eventually just accept and collect both classics and moderns without distinction. How-
    ever future collectors find these coins the prices will always be determined by supply and
    demand and collectors will always be doing the same thing: collecting coins they find inter-
    esting and trying to get as much rarity and value as they can for as little cost as possible.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>In the long run there really isn't any difference between classic and modern. Oh sure,
    I fully understand how classic collectors usually find the moderns and certainly there are
    real differences in metallic content, mintages, etc., etc.... While most classic collectors
    will probably never embrace moderns it is very likely, even a virtual certainty, that collectors
    will eventually just accept and collect both classics and moderns without distinction. How-
    ever future collectors find these coins the prices will always be determined by supply and
    demand and collectors will always be doing the same thing: collecting coins they find inter-
    esting and trying to get as much rarity and value as they can for as little cost as possible. >>

What he said. image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    There is no better or worse. One collects what interests one and whatever it is,

its OK. In a collecting career, a person way go from modern to classic and back to modern.

In some cases a collector may collect both modern and classic at the same time. At certain times

in a persons life, affordability is necessary to allow collectability. As one becomes more affluent,

then a greater range of opportunities opens up as to type and grade collected. Its a hobby after all

and pleasure and joy are the primary goals.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage