Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are wooden nickels?

Just curious,

Where wooden nickels ever used for anything or were they just some kind of novelty?

Randy

Comments

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I have one that indicartes it is good for 5 cents in trade. I got it at a parade back in the early 60's.
  • Options
    CherwoodCherwood Posts: 1,073
    We used to get them at the roller rink in the races. You could trade them towards stuff in the snack bar.

Cheryl
    Cheryl........."She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe they work like Civil War store cards. They act as both advertising and currency.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    During the depression several differnt type of emergency local money arose in communities around the country. One of these was small denominations printed on thin wood flats produced from scrap from lumber mills. At first these were actually used as currency in the local areas but later became used more and more a fundraising item from their sale as souvineers for the local area or community celebration.

As their use in commerce declined and their fundraising and souvineer use increased they became thicker and developed into the more commonly seen round shape we see today.

One of the reasons for the expression "Don't take any wooden nickels" was because the early flats were so thin and fragile that they would break up easily. So if you took the "wooden nickel" you were likely to lose your money through its breakup.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first depression wooden money was issued in Tenino, Washington in 1932 and 1933. Issued in 25 cent, 50 cent, and $1, they were made of thin slices of spruce, a light, strong, and flexible wood. They quickly became collectors items and very little money was redeemed.

They are found occasionaly on ebay (search Tenino). The 25 cent is by far the most common, I found one at a local coin shop in great condition (although I have no idea how to grade these!). I also found the Tenino centennial issue of 1972. Two years ago the 25 cent was trading for about $30.

The Tenino museum has a great display of all issues of this wooden money.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    My wooden nickel.

- -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    Here's the only wooden nickel I have. All I know is it's hella old. I know my grandfather had it at one point, and he was born in 1894, and died in 1979 (I was born in '81, so I never knew him.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file