Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT - Anyone got a derby pick?

Post your pick!

I'm thinking Lion Heart.

Also, I had about 12 high-grade derby programs from the 50's & 60's that I bought 1990-ish for $40-100 each. eBay is paying rediculous money for them now and I sold them all in the last few months in the $200-600 range. So if you have any horse racing memorabilia in the attic, now may be the time to sell as prices have skyrocketed.

Comments

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I think his name is My Nose.....pick him.image
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    There are certainly enough Roans this year.

But I will save putting my money on them for the Saratoga turf, although Tapit is tempting after winning the Wood easier than the photos will tell you...but the Ragozin theories will tell you this one will fall flat in the Derby....so will I.

With 2 wins over the track and a "hole in the wind" Beyer of 111, lots of $$ will be put on 'The Cliffs Edge', that money won't be mine, but he should get his name called a few times through the early fractions.

I like 'Action this Day' .........if he goes, and it looks like he will.

no sense playing favorites image
  • Options

seabiscuit
  • Options

seriously though, Tapit will win
  • Options
    Action This Day bucking a lot of history as no 2YO BC winner has ever come back to win the derby. At least you will get a price trying to buck that history. (Remember 5-2 Azeri??!!!)

As for the roans, I seem to win the derby only with them! My last 2 derby winning picks were Monarchos & Silver Charm.

I'm thinking dual qualifiers have been in mothballs long enough. if you want to see who they are go to www.chef-de-race.com
  • Options
    Tapit reminds me too much of Talkin Man, but no better trainer with strange prep patterns than Dickinson.

Not too many looking at the Illinois Derby victor. 107 beyer shoud be worth a look although he didn't beet nothing.
  • Options
    Arazi........ A Star is Born !..........forget about him? ...hell, the hair on my neck just stood up again.

I tend not to use Beyer numbers for horses this young, stretching out, and in a huge field (presumably).

Horses don't know history (save for Mr. Ed)......and the dosage numbers look good, plus a few mediocre outings could set up a big run.

As I said, I'd lay off anything 6-1 or shorter, always have, always will.

I think the Derby is always one of the worst races you could choose to handicap correctly.......fun, but a real lottery compared to other graded stakes races...and therin lies the beauty.

You want to make $$ come to Saratoga.

besides, I'll change my mind a dozen times before......they're off.
  • Options
    Great link..thanks.
    I did not realize that 7 of the last 9 winners we're 'Raise a Native' Sire bloodlined. Of course between he and Northern Dancer, most of the horses in Kentucky can be accounted for.

surprisingly, I see that my pick is a DQ image

When he published the Dosage Index in 1981, Dr Steve Roman proposed that when analysing the Kentucky Derby, one should use the index in conjunction with the Experimental Free Handicap - the ranking of two year olds compiled by the Jockey Club,based on a hypothetical race at 1 1/16 miles in the spring for 3-year-olds on dirt.

This process would unearth what Roman labelled "Dual Qualifiers" - horses with a Dosage Index (DI) of 4.00 or less who were ranked within ten pounds of the high-weight on the Handicap;

"The Dual Qualifiers are blessed with staying pedigrees as expressed in their DI, and an advanced degree of class and maturity as reflected by their superior performance at two and acknowledged by their positions on the EFH."

Dual Qualifiers have captured 21 of the 32 Derbies in which they have appeared. (65%). Thirteen have finished second and nine have run third. Overall, 39% of all Dual Qualifiers have finished in the money. Moreover, a straight two dollar win bet on each Dual Qualifier, has yielded a 61% profit over the years.

For the 2004 Experimental Handicap, only those horses who finished at least fourth in a graded or unrestricted stakes worth at least $75,000 in the United States were eligible to be weighted. The leading Dual Qualifiers are; Action This Day (126), Cuvee (126), Ruler's Court (126), Birdstone (124), Lion Heart (123), Eurosilver (122), Chapel Royal (121), Silver Wagon (120), Perfect Moon (119), Siphonizer (119), Read the Footnotes (118), The Cliff's Edge (117) and Tiger Hunt (116).

Critics of the Dual Qualifying system point out that since the stakes performance restrictions were instituted in the late 1980s the theory has lost some credibility, not least; as the last six Derby winners were not weighted and thus, not Dual Qualifiers. (The most recent dual qualifier to win the Derby was Silver Charm in 1997). They surmise that the theory often forces punters to discard lightly raced two year olds, that are open to considerable improvement. All eyes down for the 2004 showdown!

• Options
    41-1.......hmm.

muddy track won't help, but I'm down for a nickel and a nail anyways.

lost : one nickel and one nail ........didn't even finish image

so much for dosage.
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
  • Options

just glad Imperialism didn't win so I don't have to see his trainer on espn again, man she's annoying
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Smarty Jones. He is practically from my backyard. Philadelphia park is located in Bensalem, Pa about 2 miles from me.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I put down 20 on Smarty at Delaware Park, and just got back from a nice dinner courtesy of Smarty Jones.

I didn't bet the favorite, I bet the Philly image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Looks like I'll have to buy a racing form before making my Preakness selection.

...gotta save face image

fortunately nobody ever listens to me anyhow image
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I hit the exacta for 65 $, almost had the triple. Had 2 triple tickets, one was a 4 way box of Smarty Jones, Lion Heart , Borrego, and Master David. The other was a triple key with Smarty Jones on top with Lion Heart, Master David, and Castledale. Triple paid over 900 $ which was sweet payoff. The Preakness will be a bust to bet, Smarty Jones will go off at about 1 to 1 or less and win by 3 lengths.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    Once the rains opened up the play was even easier for me to see....The kitchen sink on Lion Heart to show. The $5.80 payout was a steal as everyone knew he'd be in front at the top of the stretch. I am impressed how after 22.3 & 45 and change splits, he hung around nicely.

Julips on me!