Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question on mint sets

I know I have seen some posts on the forum before about un-opened mint sets. My question is, seeing that all the mints sets I have purchased have come to me open, is there such a thing as a "Never" opened mint set? Did they used to come from the mint sealed? I know the chances of these mint sets being opened, picked through and sealed again are very great. I just wanted to know if mints sets came from the mint sealed?

Thanks,
Me

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Mint sets did not come from the mint sealed.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Why would anyone WANT to buy a sealed set if there were such a thing? We had a chap bring several "sealed" proof sets from the late 1950s into the shop to sell, but he did not want me to open them. It should go without saying that he left without an offer from me!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Thanks Russ and dead king, I just wanted to know because of the rash of "un-opened, never opened" mint sets that have hit ebay. One seller has 4 pages of these so-called un-opened mint sets running now on Ebay. I wanted to make sure I understood that mint sets were not sealed at the mint.
  • Options
    Proof sets did come from the mint sealed - but not always.

Aethelred,

It's the thrill of the hunt. image I have to say, though, that all my best scores have come from open sets.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    He has been a member since Dec-16-03 and has no feedback whatsoever.

J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    Hmmm....there is a brand new seller pushing a lot of 1960's PROOF sets. Okay now I understand. Thanks!
    Link
  • Options

<< <i>He has been a member since Dec-16-03 and has no feedback whatsoever.

image >>

Yes, I saw that it and looks like all his proof sets are $15.00 starting bid.
  • Options

<< <i>Kennedy Half with accented hair from this year is worth $9,600. >>

These guys crack me up. Some seller discovered the PCGS price guide a while back and started putting that in his auctions. Now, they're all doing it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Proof sets did come from the mint sealed - but not always.

Aethelred,

It's the thrill of the hunt. image I have to say, though, that all my best scores have come from open sets.

Russ, NCNE >>

I have opened a number of sealed pre 1965 shipping boxes and most of the time the proof sets inside are sealed. I always cut them open before buying. To me there is no thrill in not seeing what you are parting with hard earned cash for.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Why would anyone WANT to buy a sealed set if there were such a thing? We had a chap bring several "sealed" proof sets from the late 1950s into the shop to sell, but he did not want me to open them. It should go without saying that he left without an offer from me! >>

My point here is that there is no way to know by whom the sets were sealed. You can even buy new proof set envelopes that look just like the originals. What would stop someone from sealing their crappy sets and unloading them on eBay as "Mint sealed?"

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭
    Unopened shipping boxes are the only safe bet as far as "unopened" goes if you are looking for truly unsearched sets. They are available but pricey. It's like buying a lottery ticket...sometimes you win, but mostly you lose. As far as mint sets go, I agree they were not sealed from the mint but I am only speaking of 80's-date sets. This issue has come up many times on this site. I've found sealed sets in SMS mint sealed boxes but I believe they may have sealed due to humidity. The 65-67 SMS sets have adhesive on the envelopes so I have never been able to determine if they came sealed from the Mint. I've heard numerous opinions. More confused yet?

M.image
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The only sealed sets I trust are the ones still in the unopened mailers. The envelopes aren't sealed, just the boxes or mailers. My best scores have also come from the opened sets too. The entrepreneurial seller can simply purchase new envelopes on ebay periodically and create their own sealed sets. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options

<< <i>The 65-67 SMS sets have adhesive on the envelopes so I have never been able to determine if they came sealed from the Mint. >>

The '66 and 67 sets were in boxes not envelopes.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People do attach too much significance to sealed mint set boxes. It is true that
    they are most probably unsearched (especially those of years with the five set
    maximum order), but this is hardly a gaurantee that the quality will be better. In
    many cases a collector would save only a few sets and would try to keep the best
    looking set, or he would even cherry pick a dealer to set aside some choice sets
    each year. These sets also come back on the market. There have been times that
    I've looked through a small batch of sets and they are all choice or very choice. The
    best sets are scarce because few were made not because most of the sets have
    been cherried. Having nice original sets isn't necessarily a big advantage.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file