Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I like saying hah-bee-boo-lan but I love saying...

Martin San Lou-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Any one know what his rookie cards are and if he has any minor league cards? Looks like he's on the trail to HOF status.

Thanks!

P.S. I also liked saying Shooty Babbitt as a kid too!

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    His RC's are from '98-99. Not sure how many there are, but his Upper Deck one is probably the best. They typically only sell for a few bucks. Sure he's only 5'9", but it's still amazing to consider that he went undrafted out of college.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    His 98-99 UD Gold is the hottest. They've been selling really good for over 3 months now.
    I've bidder outbidded on a number of his multiple lots.

I picked him up early in the Fantasy hockey draft. 4th or 5th round. He's the only reason i made the playoffs!

Ben

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I love watching him, but you have to remember that in today's NHL diminutive forwards often burn out before they can post truly awesome career numbers.
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    I've partyed with him before whan he played in Calgary. Super nice guy and an amazing player!
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Good point boopotts. Of course, in today's NHL nobody is posting big numbers, accept the goalies.
  • Options

<< <i>Good point boopotts. Of course, in today's NHL nobody is posting big numbers, accept the goalies. >>

i've been wondering about the reason for this. i don't have the total goals/game stats on hand, but it doesn't seem that the total has dropped off from previous years. at least based on the 200+ games i've watched this year. it just seems that there really isn't a marquee star for the NHL to market. most of the older goal scorers are close to retiring (Hull, Robitaille, Yzerman, Lemieux, etc.) are close to retirement, and a lot of the newer guys are either injured or a member of the Rangers (both which are equally devastating).

who does the NHL have to market? Heatley, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Thornton, Iginla, Nash......none of em are media darlings.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    goodriddance189 - The reasons for the low scoring are many, and it depends on who you ask, but here is a list in no particular order.

Goalie equipment is better and BIGGER, goalies have no fear - go back to the 89 Stanley Cup final and watch Patrick Roy flinching (admittedly) when Al Macinnis wound up from the point (you do not see that any more)
    Goalies handle the puck more effectively reducing scoring chances off the dump in
    Clutching and grabbing is up
    Interference has constantly gotten worse
    Systems - coaches realize they can turn a lousy team into a decent one by playing a defensive system and relying on one break to score
    Expansion - more teams has resulted in more players and less skilled ones coming into the league,
    Contracts - owners are happy with less scoring - less scoring results in lower contracts - at least in theory
    Parity - more teams have opportunities to win now because every game is so close - resulting in more defense
    Defense first attitude by most coaches and players - in the heydey of the Oilers and Canadiens they thought offense first
    Lack of rushing defensemen - Coaches prohibit defensemen from rushing with the puck and encourage stay at home play. If Paul Coffey were to break in to the league now, he would spend half his time being benched for being caught up ice.

There is just a list - I am certain there is many more. Not certain what they are going to do about it, but preventing the goalies from playing the puck outside their net appears to be one thing.
  • Options
    yeah, goaltending has definitely benefitted from the total dilution of talent. half of these guys in the playoffs right now (Kiprusoff, Esche, Giguere last year, Aebischer, Vokoun, Auld, DiPietro, etc) wouldn't have even been in the league 20 years ago