Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess what they found!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

NGC Graded AU 58

The 1854-O double eagle is a tremendous rarity today, with no more than 25-30 examples known in all grades. Even some of the most notable collections of the past have lacked this elusive issue. To date, no uncirculated pieces have been confirmed, and VF-XF is the typical grade range for this important Double Eagle.

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Oh to have been an investor in their search and recovery operation!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That makes it the highest graded 54-O doesnt it?

There are no Unc example of that coin...

Amazing find...

John
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what it looked like pre-conservation?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably something like a small black slimy frisbee...
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Can the silver coins be conserved having been in saltwater that long?

Of course, but conservation doesn't undo damage. It only removes "stuff" from the surface of the coin. Because silver coins are more likely to have more substantial permanent damage below the "stuff", most salvaged silver doesn't come out as well as the gold. Doesn't mean there aren't exceptions to the rule.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Looks whizzed.image
  • Options
    Click on the ncs link and you see the before and after of the coin. methinks it is good to conserve rare coins!!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder when they're going to reveal they found 50 of them......imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    EXACTLY Lakesamann! They'll put a few of those babies away (wink, wink) so they can realize FULL potential one coin at a time. image

Can't say I blame them either.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options

<< <i>EXACTLY Lakesamann! They'll put a few of those babies away (wink, wink) so they can realize FULL potential one coin at a time. image

Can't say I blame them either. >>

Thats exactly how I would do it!
  • Options
    Odyssey is a public company. When and if they reveal the inventory of coins found, you can bet that it is complete.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    From the article:

<<
    NCS is the only professional conservation service specializing in coins and other numismatic items and is the Conservation Service of Choice for the American Numismatic Association (ANA). NGC is the largest independent coin grading service in the world, having certified more than ten million collectable coins, and is the Official Grading Service of the American Numismatic Association (ANA) and the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG).
    >>

And that matters why?
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    And that matters why?

Because they are looking to attract new business. Do you blame them?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHAT ELSE??????

The article states that a number of different coins recovered are now identified. However, the links only talk about the one coin. Is there a list somewhere? Did I miss a more informative and detailed link?
  • Options

<< <i>Do you blame them? >>

Considering their relationship to the Home Shopping Network, I'm not surprised they are playing their bought endorsements for every bit of credibility they can get.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    Considering their relationship to the Home Shopping Network, I'm not surprised they are playing their bought endorsements for every bit of credibility they can get.

"Considering their relationship to the Home Shopping Network"? NGC wouldn't try to get their money's worth out of the endorsement if it wasn't for HSN? DDink, you make no sense. Go to your room and watch HSN. Now!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Did I miss a more informative and detailed link?

As far as I know, no more info is available.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>NGC wouldn't try to get their money's worth out of the endorsement if it wasn't for HSN? >>

No, NGC needs to get their money's worth out of the endorsement because of their relationship with HSN. I just love the "AU" and "BU" slabs they made especially for it! That way they don't have to actually grade any coins image
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Looks like Business Wire pulled the story, the link is invalid.
    Mark
  • Options
    Then try this link instead.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Odyssey is a public company. When and if they reveal the inventory of coins found, you can bet that it is complete.

Uh, Andy.....ever heard of Enron??image Sounds like you have a dog in the hunt - what's the connection??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Sounds like you have a dog in the hunt - what's the connection??

I know all the people involved. They're too smart to expose themselves to lawsuits or blow their credibility for a few quick bucks.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And that matters why?

what the statement says to me more than anything else is that the hobby and the ANA has accepted Conservation as a viable alternative to a potentially lost coin. all those who disdain efforts to restore some type of marketability to damaged or potentially damaged coins might consider this example as what conservation can do.

oh yeah, good prediction Robert!!

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file