Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GSA soft pack, non CC Morgan question.... Please help!

RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
I recently sold a pair of 1882-O, circulated GSA Morgans.

Here's the situation;
The envelopes were mislabeled as 1882-S, and when I listed the auction, I listed them as "S" mint coins in error.

When the buyer recieved the coins he brought this to my attention, and was very understanding. He even wants to keep the coins, as he didn't have the 82-O GSA Morgans.

Here is MY problem;
The coins are EF/AU. 82-O + 82-S Morgans have approximately the same value in this condition. I feel comfortable letting the buyer keep the coins, and even offering him a 10-20% refund/discount for putting up with my error with such grace, and good humor.
Is there a significant difference in value as a GSA product?

He's not familiar with GSA pop. reports, and neither am I. I would consider this a fair trade, and the discount is purely a PR.

I don't care if I lose out in this deal. The mistake was mine, and if I had sold him a rarity cheap I'd suck it up. I don't think there is a problem with letting him keep the coins and sending him a discount for his trouble. I don't want this guy to feel I took advantage of the situation.

Thanks very much in advance for any help or opinions offered.

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't care if I lose out in this deal. The mistake was mine, and if I had sold him a rarity cheap I'd suck it up. I don't think there is a problem with letting him keep the coins and sending him a discount for his trouble. I don't want this guy to feel I took advantage of the situation. >>

I think you've answered your own question. The buyer is willing to keep them, you're willing to give him a break due to the confusion. And if by some chance there's a premium for the O-mints, you don't mind letting the buyer have the benefit.

Doesn't seem like there's a problem! image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    I just don't want to find out there's a premium on the 82-S.
  • Options
    I just don't want to find out there's a premium on the 82-S.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Even if there is a premium on the 82-S, you've let the buyer make the call. You'll take a return, or you'll give a discount if he keeps them. That's all you can do. It was an honest mistake and you have given the buyer all the options possible.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    First, there are no detailed pop. reports for either the GSA softpacks or non-CC hardpack coins. And actually Ron, if there's a premium on either of the two coins, it'd be the 82-O in my opinion.

That belief is basically an extrapolation of data I've compiled on the GSA hardpacks. The 82-O is classified as Exceedingly Rare while the 82-S is Scarce according to my experience. Keep in mind that we're talking about uncirculated coins in GSA hardpacks.

Now, the 82-O and 82-S softpacks are both confirmed by a number of GSA collectors with whom I correspond, and while I've not developed rarity rankings on the GSA softpacks, I suspect the 82-O is more difficult to acquire.

I'd say your customer will do just fine with the two coins and I'd not worry further about the transaction. If he's really understanding, I'd not offer any further discounts. In fact, feel free to copy my post and forward it to him.

GSAGUY

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file