Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1983 Topps Traded Julio Franco! Very interesting!

This is a special card, but not costly by any means. I feel this card is overlooked by some and may have some due in the future. His case is unique.

The man is in excellent physical shape, keeps his head straight, works hard and he has raw baseball talent. Those are elements of a good long career and something fans can appreciate. He has an easy going attitude and very casual and calm in interviews. He does not sweat the small stuff, but stays focused and always gives his best effort. He is adaptable and can get along with any teammate. He is a club house leader by example. His no stress attitude rubs off on others. He does not worry, but when he comes to bat, his skills and experience are put to the test and he is focused enough to get the hit he needs. Very good hitters are patient and adaptable just like J Franco. He knows how to focus and that brings him success.

He played in Japan for 3 years as a first baseman and won the equivalent to the Gold Glove award there. he has done well everywhere he has been--every team, every country.

Had he stayed in the USA for those years, we might have been looking at a ball player really close to 3000 hits.

I think people in Japan would like the above mentioned baseball card so they can cherish those memories of a great first baseman that came as a visitor from abroad to play a few seasons. Franco has international appeal. I am wondering how much more popular he will get.
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I was also thinking about this card! Earlier this year he had one of the best at bats I have EVER seen against the Cubs. I wonder how old he really is? He was on the radio here (Chicago) recently and he and the hosts were having a good laugh over his listed age. I guess it's like Julio says " you are only as old as you feel"
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Guys like Julio Franco and Rickey Henderson are just great athletes.

Perhaps someone could start collecting: Great Players over 40. You would collect the rookie and the last card (Topps - to see all the years and stats).

Not sure what the exact qualifications would be, but I'd think you'd have to have played 20 or more seasons and showed productivity in your 40s. Hmmm, maybe this would look too much like the Hall of Fame list....maybe not...

Someone break it down with a list and note whether they are in the hall of fame.

The key is what becomes significant to do after 40???
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm... gotta be throwing a no-hitter after age 40... Ryan and Spahn each threw 2 of them after turning 40!

I like this idea of 40+ guys... call it the Fine Wine Set. Players who put up meaningful stats after age 40 (no hangers on please). Some vintage candidates could be:

Nolan Ryan
    Hoyt Wilhelm
    Warren Spahn
    Rickey Henderson
    Dave Winfield
    Tommy John
    Phil Niekro
    Ty Cobb
    Carlton Fisk

Who else?
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who else? >>

Theres a bunch of Hall Of Famers that played to 40 and beyond.
    Many of the Hall Of Famers had built up a ton of hits, HR's or wins, so to do that you need many seasons.
    I thought of 3 guys right away, and all easily exceeded 40 years of age before retiring.

Cap Anson - (1st player to amss 3000 hits) played 27 seasons til age 45
    Yaz - Seemed to play forever, played 23 season til age 44
    Eddie Collins (another 3000 hit guy) played 25 seasons til age 43

and I'm sure there are many more HOF'ers to join the list...jay
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Jay;

Anson and Collins are good examples, but Yaz (and I liked him) was really just a hanger on from 1980 to 1983... I can't recall anything he did of significance beyond achieving milestones toward the end... I'd group him in with hangers-on like Pete Rose, Steve Carlton, Jesse Orosco, Gary Carter, and Tony Perez.

Hey, I think the poster child for the 40+ set has to be 42-year-old rookie Satchel Paige!!
  • Options
    You cannot include people who were just designated hitters either.
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Try Jamie Moyer.
  • Options
    I live in Erie, PA have gone to Indians games my whole life. I remember going to games with my dad back in the mid 80's and watching guys like Julio, Mel Hall, and Cory Snyder. It's amazing to think that Julio has endured all these years. He has got to be around 45-50 years of age I would guess. The shape that he is in is amazing though. I was not aware that he was still playing. While picking up the Franco in the 83 TT set you may as well pick up the Straw RC just for the fun of it.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey,

you guys did enjoy this post afterall. That's nice. We started from Julio Franco and now are talking about guys still going strong in their 40's.

Really, what does age mean if you are fit and trim and have no ailments? Who cares if J Franco is 45, if he can still play, he will play....there are no objections to that. Maybe he can play 4 more years and reach the 3000 hit plateau....if his health holds out and he wants to come back, a team will always be interested. This is a rare case, I admit, but who says that J Franco is not the very few that can pull it off? It will be fun to watch.

Can we add John Franco to the list?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    This is a good time to ask the annual question: Where's Rickey?
  • Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭

<< <i>I'd group him in with hangers-on like Pete Rose, Steve Carlton, Jesse Orosco, Gary Carter, and Tony Perez. >>

When Rose turned 40 just a few games into the 1981 season he finished that year .325, 73 runs and 140 hits in a short season. I believe that qualifies for

<< <i>meaningful stats after age 40 >>

He then when on to play a couple of decent seasons after that collecting 293 hits and batting around .260 in the next 2 years.
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    Couldn't we put Satchell Paige in this group, it's not his fault he wasn't allowed in the big leauges until later on in his life.....
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

I would say that Hank Aaron had a meaningful stat after 40

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    I went to the Braves game last night. They diplayed on the message board that Julio has over 3,500 hits in the major leagues. This of course includes the time he played in Japan, but that is a big number. He had a big double that factored in the win last night.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    Ricky Henderson retired as far as I know. He was with the Dodgers last.

J Franco certainly does have many hits, but 3500 combined Janpanese and MLB? I got to look at the stats myself, but the Japanese league is no push over....its not like minor league baseball. Here in the USA, the top Negro Leaguers are recognized and put in the HOF for their excellence. Will Franco's Japanese stats count against him? 3000 hits is automatic, but I guess it must be qualified to say that 3000 hits in the MLB is automatic entry to Cooperstown. In this era of globalization, that kind of mentality that only MLB stats count is very ethnocentric. It is as if Franco hit a bunch of gofer balls in Japan. Maybe if we already count Negro League stats, we can count the few years of Japanese League on players who spent most of their career in MLB.

• Options
    DG - it's a fine line; if you look at Josh Gibson's stats, they're all Negro League because he never played in the MLB. But Robinson and Mays and Paige, all those other guys who played in both leagues are, at best, shown with separate stats for each. To me, it makes sense - without quantifying the calibre of baseball in ANY league, it would be fair to say that the levels do vary, and as such, I wouldn't necessarily want to compare apples with oranges.

jes my $.02
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    2358 in MLB. Just at quick glance I see about 5 full seasons he could have played in Japan -- not sure if he played there or not in each of those. That would be about 220 hits in each of the 5 seasons to get 3500. I have no idea how many games is in a Japanese season, but that seems a high average.

As for the Hall. The writers & veterans committee voters can consider anything they as an individual deem material to making a decision. That being said, a parallel to the Negro leagues isn't entirely accurate. Franco was NOT denied the opportunity to play in MLB as were the Negro League players, so the comparison is apples to oranges. I personally think the HOF is a long shot for Franco. That being said, he is an amazing talent. I would wager he is older than his reported age. He is a pleasure to watch, and can still rake.

A lifetime 300 hitter with 2400+ hits is a VERY VERY solid career! What is even more amazing is his journey through the defensive spectrum. He played 715 games at SS and 663 at 2b as compared to 366 at DH and 319 at 1b. That's impressive.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Franco spent two years in the Mexican league. I suppose if you add those to his Japan stint, and any winter ball, then you might have 3500 hits.
  • Options
    And I'd love to see him get to 3000. Which won't happen, but then who thought he'd get this far? Cox says he's got a job as long as he keeps hitting .290, so who knows.
  • Options
    The only thing that will keep franco from getting to 3000 is the aging process. His skills will only get better, but his body has to hold up. He has to defy injuries and maintain the same reflexes he has now. Could he do that 5 more years? Maybe. Its a stretch, but then again, who imagined Paul Molitor getting not only 3000, but over 3300 hits.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Harold Baines had a 100 RBI season at age 40.
    Reggie Jackson had a 18 HR, 92 BB season at age 40.
    Paul Molitor had over 300 hits in 2 seasons after reaching 40.
    Lou Brock hit .304 with 21 SB in the season when he turned 40.
    Don Sutton had 2 15-win seasons after turning 40.
    Gaylord Perry had 5 seasons as a regular starter after turning 40.
    Red Faber had 3 seasons as a regular starter after turning 40.
    Carlton didn't just hang on. He started 32 games at age 41.
    Grover Cleveland Alexander won 21 games at age 40.
    Eddie Plank won 16 games at age 40.
    Bob Boone caught 129 games in a season at age 41.
    Jesse Orosco went 4-1 with 7 saves in 69 games at age 41.
    Dennis Eckersley had 95 saves in 3 seasons after turning 40.
    Kent Tekulve led the NL in games pitched at age 40.

I would say that each of these players would qualify.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Add Eddie Murray, Charlie Hough, Darrell Evans, Joe Niekro, and Don McMahon to the list. Willie McCovey might be added too.
    Hough's stats after turning 40 are very impressive - including appearing in the top 10 in innings pitched and starts (multiple times for starts).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Yes Nick, but isn't Franco's real age actually closer to 62?
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Add a grand slam tonite to the 45 year old julio franco!! the oldest player ever to hit one! i am now looking to buy his rookies also! could be a great investment!
  • Options
    I ate up this thread in April and I'm eating it again - I have nineteen '83 Topps Traded Franco's that would 8 or 9 for sure but I haven't done anything with them because I haven't thought there was a demand for them.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I used to see him play all the time when I lived in Arlington. He was a very clutch hitter and I loved his funky batting stance.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    MorrellMan

If i had them i would grade them. it could be a hot card if the braves stay in the race this year and he is a big part of it.

Media will grab onto the 45 almost 46 years old story and still playing at this level is amazing. then those cards will hit beckett guide and wham they go up!!

I could wrong but i would grade them.
  • Options
    Only if they're 9s with a shot at 10s would I grade them. Seeking such cards out wouldn't be the worst idea though.
  • Options
    I have always liked this particular card, that's why I posted about it. I am sure some of you guys that saw him play in the 1980's and 1990's can appreciate him now. Wouldn't you just want to own his best rookie card just as a novelty at least?

I am sure many out there can appreciate J Franco and he is a fun player to watch and very team oriented. I am also sure many of you would pay $12 for a PSA 9 of his rookie card too.

He could become very popular in the media as they follow up on the feats of this wonderful player. He does not have to get 100RBI, but if he continues to play as solid as he is now, people are interested and curious to see a player at this age still able to perform at a high level and not just hanging on. A player does not need big stats to be popular.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good for you.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Last night, he set the record for the oldest player to hit a grand slam. I think the announcers said he was 42.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards