Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Still have your first coin?

After recently finishing taking pictures of my whole collection, I thought I'd share a picture of the first coin I bought from a (long since closed) coin dealer. I was only 10 or so at the time, but I was thrilled with all the different coins that were up for sale. I had only been collecting coins from circulation until the time, and finally decided on a large cent -- it was cheap enough for a 10 year old to buy and was different -- I couldn't believe that pennies used to be the size of half dollars. It might not be the type of coin I'd buy nowadays, but it's the coin that started a life-long interest in coin collecting:

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Good story, and a good coin too.
    Unfortunately, my first coins, which were given to me by relatives, were stolen many years ago.
    I do, however, still have the first banknote I ever owned; a CU 1963 $1.
    I also still have the first coin I ever bought; an XF-45 1868 Shield Nickel.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~
  • Options
    of course....my 1943p wlh was a bday gift from my grandma image
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    Yep....a 1913 Lincoln cent that can't be better than a g8..but at the time I was taken by the age.....image
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    An 1853 cent in EF that was given to me by my dad. It belonged to my Great Grandmother befor that!
  • Options
    I can't remember the year, but it was a common date Barber Quarter, in AG3/G4... pretty grey toning... and it know resides in my type set, and will not be replaced, b/c I like the color, and I'm goin for an original circulated look with at least the 19th century coins, and some of the 20th century, though others are, and will be, UNC...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    I still have the coins that were given to my parents by one of my great uncles, don't remember his name. 3 Peace Dollars and 1 Morgan. All well circulated, the Morgan grading approx G4 at best. Would I ever get rid of them??? Not on your life!!!

I also still have the first coin that I actually bought too, a 1921p Morgan with a horrid Bag mark along Lady Liberty's cheek. I call it my scarface Morgan.
    J'har
  • Options
    I inherited my collection from my dad after he died. I didn’t collect before that, but I have refused to sell or trade his coins. However, I still have my first coin, it’s a 1911D Lincoln MS60 – I used to fill a whole in his Lincoln collection.
  • Options

When I was eight years old (almost 50 years ago) my grandmother gave me my first real coins-- an 1803 penny and an 1806/5 half dollar. She lived in Ohio and I lived in Arizona so I did not get to see her very often but when I did she would bring out this jar full of olds coins and let me explore. At that young age it seemed almost magical to hold these pieces of history. Each visit she gave a few to take home- an 1837 half dime, an 1864 two cent piece, a trime, a cn three center, indian heads, other seated liberty's and large pennys. Then one of my cousins who was a junky stole the jar and that was the end of it. She was a great lady and got me started or should I say hooked on coins.

Macqui

GC's DMPL Set
  • Options
    Mine was a Mercury dime and I was thrilled when it arrived. I do still own it!
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    The first one I bought myself was a dutch doit.... My first american coin was offcourse a Wheat....

Dennis
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    my real first coin was a 1943 P nickel found in my change box when I was about 7 or 8. I may still have it in my nickel book. I still have several coins that my grandmother got me when I was in that same age range like a 1854 arr half, 1854 arrows quarter, 1860 cent, 1865 two cent, 1865 3 cent. I won't get rid of those.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

WACoinGuy, my story & coin is almost the same as yours. Mine is an 1843 Cent & I was about 8 years old. My mother took me to a
    nearby coin shop (that's long gone now) & bought it for me. I still have it & always will. I remember wanting a coin that was more than
    100 years old.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Nope, and i'm not even sure what my first coin was.
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Yep, Mostly darkside stuff. At that time my collection was stored in a band aid box (Remember when these were made from metal, how about sucrets boxes) They are all still in there. Later an Uncle started giving me Ikes. I kept those in a dark blue leather box that my Dad bought for me in Italy. They are still in that little leather box today. Later, when my Father passed I got his collection. He had the blue whitman books. Tubes, rolls, bagged, boxed, enveloped, etc.... Several paper grocery bags full (As much as a paper bag will hold) I had a flood at the house and the whitman folders bit the dust. I moved the coins to albums provided by a board member (Thank you for your kindness) Its all either in a folder, flip, cointainer, slab, roll, tube, or loose. I use several of the old ammo cans to hold the good stuff and put silica packs in there. The really expensive piecces have a safety deposit tomb to rest in. Although I would not want to lose any of it as it is a primary link to my Father and his memory.

Dan Watson
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Yup,
    A collection of raw CC Morgans and gold started by my great grandfather. Who, actually worked at the Carson City Mint.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file