Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What a digital SLR can do. Amazing pictures (not mine and not dial-up friendly)

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
I have been talking to Mike Printz at Whitlow recently about digital cameras. I had suggested that a digital SLR should be a big improvement over point and shoot digicams. Well, he made the switch and was kind enough to send me these images. He gave me permission to post them here as example of what a digital SLR can do. It's a Canon Digital Rebel, with a generic 100mm macro lens.

He said that it didn't take much effort to acquire these images.

The detail on these pictures is amazing and the colors come out nicely. The 100mm macro lens allows the camera to be quite a bit farther away from the coin allowing better lighting. Also the manual focus ability is a big plus. They are unretouched except for the winged liberty where I corrected the color a bit.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Can we have a model number and approximate price for such a camera?
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...

that merc is a great picture...

That is almost good enough to grade off of... almost...
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I believe you can get the digital rebel body for about $900. He said he got a generic 100 mm macro lens for a little over a $100. Not a bad price for the quality you get. Nikon has a digital body for about $1000 now also. I've been drooling over them recently and will get one eventually myself.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man......UNREAL!

Mike needs to give lessons...

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    FragmentumFragmentum Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Canon Digital Rebel (With Lens) 6.3MP, 1.8"Lcd,CF Digital Camera
    Approximately $999 without the 100 macro lens.
    100MM macro runs around $450-$500 I believe...
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • Options
    Awesome Images
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Mark was kind enough to ask if he could post these. I have enjoyed chatting with him about imaging and since he was so impressed I said go for it. He thought the board would enjoy seeing them.

The camera body is about $1000....you may find it a tad cheaper if you search, but I did not and it is new technology. The lens is about $135 or so and I'm using some different lighting. I'm truly impressed with what an SLR can do. I have been using an Olympus DL620, which while not a true SLR, does function like one. The problem I've had with the new digital cameras is the fact that you have to focus using a screen rather than being able to use a viewfinder. This has solved that problem and the images I am getting are amazing. After over 6 years of imaging thousands of coins, this camera simply does it all.

Thanks for sharing Mark.

Mike Printz
    Larry Whitlow, Ltd.
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Found a place that sells it all as a kit for $1400...

link to camera store
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Coppercoins.....you do NOT want to spend $1400 for the body and lens kit. I could have bought the camera body and the kit for $1100 but opted for the 100MM lens because of what it allows me to do.

Mike
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Oooooh...I like that Mercimage
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Grrrreat !

TP
  • Options
    Great pictures...now the stupid question...how do you get the large (>50kb) pics on the thread?
    Keith
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>

Mike needs to give lessons...

Dave >>

....to Legend.imageimage
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    I am amazed.
    DSW
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Nice! I think I can see a few electrons spinning image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those colors are really amazing.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    A digital camera with slr capabilities is "the" way to go. I'm going to look for one this weekend. If you've ever tried to take an action shot with any speed involved such as Nascar or hydroplane boats you'll know what I mean. SLR capabilities will make it a no guess shot. The speed of a SLR will leave the present digital cameras in the dust. Present digital cameras cannot compete against these babies!

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about. It's all in the shutter speed.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Can you get even closer shots with the setup you've described? I've been thinking of going with a microscope type setup like I've seen in some of the other posts. While I do like the looks of these pics, I'm wanting to be able to get nice closeups of my doubled dies and the like.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    Boz,

The coins I'm taking pics of are not moving at the same speed as the hydroplane boats you are looking to capture image, in fact they are not moving at all.....but you are correct about shutter speed. However even though I am going to the web with images and therefore do not have a real concern about printing, the 6 megapixels certainly helps. Lighting is key as well. This camera allows for rapid shots so I can see why you are looking into digital SLR's. Good luck!!

Mike
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>I have been talking to Mike Printz at Whitlow recently about digital cameras. I had suggested that a digital SLR should be a big improvement over point and shoot digicams. >>

While I agree there is nothing better than a SLR, they are not really necessary for getting nice images of coins. In the case of a dealer like Whitlow, I can see where the investment would pay off. But for those of us who are mostly collectors, a good camera with the ability to shoot image manually is a good choice. Point and shoot only cameras can have mixed results.
  • Options
    Digital Non SLR image

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Great pictures, but how do copper coins look?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file