Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buy a shrunken coin

rlawsharlawsha Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭
Here is a LINK to a web site that shrinks coins and sells them. The coins are shrunk by a huge magentic field. Wild....

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, he's been doing that for several years. I've seen some examples people have done here on the board.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Some people used to collect shrunken heads years ago. (still do??)image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I have one. Guess which.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I got one of those for the "novelty" part of my collection.Heck,how many people have a shrunken Ike?

• Options
    I sent him a Morgan and a Walker. They came out well image
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Whaddaya spose would happen if I sent hime a toned proof IKE........would the toning stay on???????

tom
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Here's mine:

• Options
    Heh, I wouldn't recommend sending that guy gold bullion coins. That's weird that it actually shrinks the coin. Curious though, if you sent him a 1 oz. coin and it shrunk the coin when you got the coin back even though its smaller, would it still weigh 1 oz? A rule in science is matter cannot be created or destroyed, so if it does weigh less, where did the rest of the gold go?? image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    most of the board members have bought some...i got a really uglier SBA and a cute sac image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the coin still weighs the same. It's denser and a bit thicker.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, the coin still weighs the same. It's denser and a bit thicker. >>

Was worried for a second there it would'nt .... reminds me of the strange "dark matter" in the universe that we don't know about. Everything here on earth matter is not created or destroyed. But with black holes in the universe that have such tremendous mass, that even light can't escape with an infinite desinty? Maybe we're wrong with that rule when it comes to strange stuff in the universe!! Who knows.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a "type set" I use in the classroom. Neat coins and a great guy!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I dont think its any more dense, its just shrunken........same physical properties.........
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I bought a handfull of quarters and gave them as Christmas gifts. I kept a few for myself. The whole family loved it!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Same weight, different volume, real neatimage
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options

<< <i>I dont think its any more dense, its just shrunken........same physical properties......... >>

the same ammout of a substance packed into a tighter package meance more density. So yes, the coin will be more dense, although it will weigh the same.

As for the shrunken coins, I've never even seen them, yet alone heard of them, untill this thread. So logically, I own none.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I have a SBA, Sac, and CT state quarter. They are cool.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    They might be slightly more dense, but if so it would be such a small change that it would almost certainly not be detectable.

<< <i>Same weight, different volume, real neat >>

Actually same weight , SAME volume, different shape.

<< <i>the same ammout of a substance packed into a tighter package meance more density. So yes, the coin will be more dense, although it will weigh the same. >>

But is the "package" tighter? As the diameter is reduced the thickness is increased. For all practical purposes the volume, and therefore the density, remains the same.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Can he shrink coins in a slab>
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>the same ammout of a substance packed into a tighter package meance more density. So yes, the coin will be more dense, although it will weigh the same. >>

But is the "package" tighter? As the diameter is reduced the thickness is increased. For all practical purposes the volume, and therefore the density, remains the same. >>

Yes, the thickness will incress as well, but the thing is, with the powerfull magnetic field crushing the coin, not all of the coin is going to be able to expand to keep the volume the same, because not 100% of the energy used to crush the coin will be concentrated on the rim of the coin. With the machine crudely built, things will be uneven, and will not be accurate, thus not all of the energy will be at the rim. The density it gains may be minute, but it's there none the less.

<< <i>Was worried for a second there it would'nt .... reminds me of the strange "dark matter" in the universe that we don't know about. Everything here on earth matter is not created or destroyed. But with black holes in the universe that have such tremendous mass, that even light can't escape with an infinite desinty? Maybe we're wrong with that rule when it comes to strange stuff in the universe!! Who knows. >>

Go to your local library and pick up a copy of "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory." by Brian Greene. EXCELENT book on String Theory. Read through this book and you'll be introduced into a whole new world of every day life.
  • Options
    Hello. I like your thinking!

"Go to your local library and pick up a copy of "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory." by Brian Greene. EXCELENT book on String Theory. Read through this book and you'll be introduced into a whole new world of every day life."

Another physics resource.....
    Stephen Hawking's books are great for space time theory.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file