Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

check out my coin cabnet!....... now with answers to questions.

mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
I build custom made pool tables as my job ....Indy Billiards service (shameless plug)

When i'm not doing that I'm always tinkering with this or that.

I come up with this cabnet to hold my treasures in !....you know...U.S. COINS for my REGISTRY SETS and I thought I'd
share some pictures of it with you all here and on the open forum.

(bold type to cover my arse ....just in case "smoeone" starts yellin' "off topic" I won't mention any names...................................Cameron.)

It holds 188 eagle pages with 9 compartments in each page .....or 1692 certified coins...12 slots for books and a generous top (which now is fairly covered.)

Its on wheels for portability...I can move it over to my computer and physically "see" whether or not I've got a particular coin that I'm about to snipe....er I mean bid early on. image

Only took 2 months and 300 bucks to build image (but its finished now!) image

Comments

• Options
    that's great! are you taking orders for more?
  • Options
    EXTREMELY slick!

Nice work!!! image
    You shout in your sleep.
    Perhaps the price is just too steep.
    Is your conscience at rest if once put to the test?
    You awake with a start to just the beating of your heart.
    Just one man beneath the sky,
    Just two ears, just two eyes.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>or 1692 certified coins >>

rats, too small for all my Franklins!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    oh ....now the first post is working ....great!

Lucy thats the beauty of building ...I could build you one that would take 10 minutes to walk around ...and a large truck to move!imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>that's great! are you taking orders for more? >>

for a priceimage really i'd rather take a whoopin' than have to build another!image
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Very nice setup and I'm impressed. I still can't set my dvd player clock.image
  • Options
    That cabinet is extremly impressive.Good job!image
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    That's cool!
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    bgmanbgman Posts: 473 ✭✭
    That is one sweet cabinet. I couldn't build one in two years, let alone two months.

Randy
  • Options
    Very very nice image
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    And....er um.......Where do you live?......image...........Heheheeheh.
  • Options
    Excellent
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    great job! imagine how much even greater it would be if those coins were'nt stuck in plastic!!!

K S
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool! I love seeing all the different cabinets forum members create.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful..........i think i would bolt it to the floor and have big metal doors on it........but then again I am a paranoid Italian. Nice job
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    Mo, that is excellent....you shoiuld get it out and about with a lot of dealers...You could sell that...
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice cabinet. Would love to have a few of those myself.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    extremely nice work image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Very nice..... I like it...
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
    very, very cool cabinet image
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• Options
    nice!
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, I have a few questions though.

1. I don't see doors on the front to inhibit light/dust/moisture. Do you have these areas covered?

2. Moisture...what is your process of handeling moisture?

3. Security: With that many slabs hanging around, what measures have you taken? Don't mean to be nosy but I like the shelf and might think about building one but must maintain certain criterier. (I understand you probably will not indulge this answer but wanted you to be cautious of your set up).

4. The pages, are they on slides or some sort or just in a slot that you slide in and out?

5. Do you have blue Prints for this shelf? image

Sorry abou tall the questions,
    Ray
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a neat project, and a nice design. As for your comment about portability, use a spreadsheet for your inventory. I created a table for my registry set that includes every coin I have in every grade, including the grading company and my cost.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    PS. I don't think my bank would allow me to roll this into their vault image so I'll have to keep mine in the box image

Oh well, your shelf is very nice and very convienent.

• Options
    One more question...do you have a method of tracking each slot? thats alot of coins to sift through if your looking for a particular one, I would imagine you have some sort of marking...Or is it just row 1,2,3 and the count down the slots?

• Options
    Hi image Me again... I was wondering... It looks like some of your slabs are wrapped in brown paper or something. Just wondering the reason.

Thanks,
    Ray
  • Options
    That looks great. I'm glad you found the Authoritative Reference on Lincoln Cents. image
  • Options
    Awesome! I want one now, hehe.

It cost less to make than most of my CC Morgans image
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did someone on the boards say neccesity is the motherhood of invention...something like that...looks great...how is the weight / top heavy when filled?
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Nice!! I like it!!
    J'har
  • Options
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    PCGS needs about ten of those to roll arond so they can grade our coins faster!----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job and congrats. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice, I have a few questions though.
    1. I don't see doors on the front to inhibit light/dust/moisture. Do you have these areas covered?
    2. Moisture...what is your process of handeling moisture?
    3. Security: With that many slabs hanging around, what measures have you taken? Don't mean to be nosy but I like the shelf and might think about building one but must maintain certain criterier. (I understand you probably will not indulge this answer but wanted you to be cautious of your set up).

4. The pages, are they on slides or some sort or just in a slot that you slide in and out?
    5. Do you have blue Prints for this shelf? image

Sorry about all the questions,
    Ray >>

answers to your questions Ray!....and others ( sorry about the delay i must sleep!)

the slots are in such close proximity that most light is cut off...the door will get the rest ...if any.
    The door is not finished yet...haven't even started on it yet.
    it'll be a one-piece door that will fit inside the edge frame with 2 bottom pins and 2 top locking pins...unlock the 2 top pins and tip out the top then lift the door up and off the bottom pins.

moisture really isnt a problem in my house. its too dry in my house year round.

about security...it weighs about 350 ponds empty. (masonite is heavy) other than that don't look for the dog...beware the owner and his
    other security gizmos he's invented.image

eagle pages simply slide in and out of the slots.

sorry ...no blue prints ...all out of my head stuff... except the measurements of the eagle pages...then i scrawled those on the back of a subway sandwich napkin.

some one asked "when are you home and where do you live" image well if yer coming to visit...come alone and call first!...should you foget to call first....pin a note inside your shirt explaining to the police and your next of kin why you've decided to commit suicide!
    it make it easier to clear myself that way.

the things in the spaces that some one thinks is cardborad or brown paper isn't...they are pieces of 1/4 th inch plywood cut to the shape of a slab and have the names, date, and reference numbers of the coin thats suposed to go ther ...when i acquire that particular coin ...i discard the wood slab....all the lincoln series is in chronilogical order by dat and then by doubled dies then by rpm's. unless they have multiple designations then still in ithe same order.

someone asked "is it top heavy when filled" i don't think so its about 350 empty ...the wheels are about 19 " apart...front to back.
    iv'e pulled it around in the room its in and it seems quite stable.

another reason for the wheels...should the house catch on fire...i could run in quickly and roll the whole collection to safety....and if there's enough time go back and save my family.image

i made all the cabnets in my house ....my water bed which looks exactly like a 1890's billiard table...computer desk...speaker stands shelves...you name it.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is my smaller version of a coin cabinet . I made mine out of walnut. Sorry for jumping in on your thread, but thought it would be alright to show off a little too.imageimage

• Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>then i scrawled those on the back of a subway sandwich napkin.
    >>

if nothing else, this has elevated you to "cream of the crop" status in my eyes image

Great project by the way

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    Very nice - you look too organized! image
  • Options

<< <i>should the house catch on fire...i could run in quickly and roll the whole collection to safety....and if there's enough time go back and save my family.image >>

Heh! You really value your collection!!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Thanks for answering the questions image My "LAST" line of defense... Beside my head on the head board is a M9 Bayonet image Between the front door and this Bayonet there are other means to deter uninvited guests...Me? I hope you make it to the bed...then it gets interesting image

Thanks,
    Ray
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What, only 12 slots for books??? I think your priorities are "inverted" image
  • Options
    coconut

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file