Home U.S. Coin Forum

1999P Jeff Double God?

MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
I was playing around today going through some rolls of Jeffersons I picked up at the bank. I was actually trying to figure out how to properly count steps and I remembered an old antique microscope I have. To shorten the story and get to the point, I ran across a 1999P with what appears to be doubling on the word GOD. I also found that I can take a picture right through the eyepiece of the antique microscope. Attached is a picture of the double GOD. Is this a real double die? Thanks, in advance, for any replies and for taking the time to look.
MrSpud

Comments

• tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    cool coin..................................i like it alot........looks like a doubled die to me.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Neat coin...but looks like it's not a true DD.
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    So then it is what they call machine doubling?
  • That's a tuff one?
    It looks an awful lot like the Large date/Small Date 1960 Lincoln the way the two "layers" appear.

Uh oh! I just examined the coin again and found out something else opposite of GOD (in more ways than one) with doubling (see pic). image
  • I personally suggest you have that coin exorcised!!!image
    Keith
  • That is one HELL of a coin.
  • Take that coin outside and smash it with a hammer !
    I was ready to smash the coin, but then I went ahead and examined the coin further. There appears to be slight doubling of all of the perimeter words and numbers on both sides of the coin. The word Monticello has no doubling and neither picture (Jeff or the building) seems to have doubling. The most noticable doubling is the GOD and the 999, followed by RUST in TRUST in the Obverse. The most noticable doubling on the Reverse is ES OF AMERICA (with the STAT in STATES not nearly as doubled) followed by CEN and the S in the word cents.
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely machine doubling. Interesting but no more...

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • It appears to be die deterioration doubling - common place. For more information on forms of doubling please visit this link.
    Regards,

J. Taylor
    CONECA Member
    FSNC Member

• richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    To me, it looks like it could be both! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file