Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you pay $900 for an acid-dated Buff?

Even a 1918/7-D? image NCS VF Details, Altered surfaces: Medium gray surfaces, etched from some acidic material to bring up details.

Comments

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    wowsier but me thinks not.

Im not sure what a coin like that would be worth..If i were collecting buffs Id sure as heck want it in my collection though.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    You asked...I answer: noimage
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • No.....image
    JoeCool
  • Neverimage
  • NO! that's one ugly Buff.

Paul
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    If it was the only way I could afford an example like it, absolutely.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the acid dropper knew what was going to appear?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since it is a rare and popular variety in a popular series it will find a home. If it is worth $900 is another question altogether...only the market can say. While I personally wouldn't want it I suspect that many collectors would...especially since it is slabbed. A $900 price would not surprise me.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I'm almost positive I've seen that coin on ebay. A seller with a feedback of 60 to 80 something had about 25 nice rare coins in PCGS, NGC , NCS and ANACS holders about 6 weeks ago. This looks exactly like the 1918/7 I was bidding on. It has the same toning in all the same areas plus it has the full horn. I'm sure the acid helped to bring the horn out too. Anyways, the seller dissappeared after the auctions ended. He never sent an invoice and never replied to any emails. Then a week later the user ID was NARUed. I guess he didn't like the bids and kept the coins to send to Teletrade.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    It looks like they acid-etched the whole coin! I have a regular acid date somewhere, just the date, I am looking for that puppy nowimage------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Nope!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect buffs...but, even if I did, my answer would be no.
    Even a keydate in what I do collect (say, the key morgans or anything else) and the answer would still be no.
    I want to like the look as well as want the coin fitting a hole.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if NCS coins are eligible for the NGC registry, I would assume that is the reason for the price or the price is the sellers reserve--------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    that is a Horrible looking coin.

The AG ones with the acid solely on the date look a million times better at a fraction of that insane price.
  • caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    image I'd pass
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file