Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just bought my bag of 2001 Halves!

I hope no one else has alrady posted this, but the halves are up on the US Mint website now.
Successful transactions with: goldman86, dmarks, CoinFame, segoja, commoncents05, wondercoin, Dabigkahuna, Levinll, RNCHSN, MrOrganic, Type2, ModernCoinMart, alohagary, BECOKA, guitarwes, rbf, fishteeth, freechance, agentjim007, PQPeace, Russ, GSAGuy

Comments

• TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I'm going right now to get one.image
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    Just ordered mine!
    DSW
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    From the US Mint:

United States Mint Offers 2001-dated Kennedy Half Dollars
    In Two-Roll Sets and Bags

Dear Subscriber:
    Welcome to the United States Mint Product Notification Newsletter. Each issue keeps you up-to-date on the latest coins and numismatic products in the United States Mint’s Online Catalog and the latest information regarding ordering and customer service.

Please do not hit “reply” to this e-mail. We are unable to process e-mails that are sent to the United States Mint in this manner

The United States Mint is proud to announce the 2001-dated Kennedy Half Dollars are now on sale! The 2001-dated Kennedy half dollars are available in two-roll sets (20 coins per roll), including one Philadelphia and one Denver mint mark coin roll. They are also available in bags of 200 that include an equal number of half dollars with Philadelphia and Denver mint marks.

Of the 19.5 million 2001-dated “D” mint mark Kennedy half dollars produced, only 12,334,000 were released into circulation by the Federal Reserve. Of the 21.2 million 2001-dated “P” mint mark Kennedy half dollars produced, none was released by the Federal Reserve into circulation.

Each coin roll in a two-roll set is wrapped in a specially designed United States Mint paper coin wrap that prominently displays a “P” or “D,” representing the roll’s mint of origin and “$10.00” representing its dollar value. These rolls feature half dollars in circulating quality, struck on our main production floors at the United States Mint facilities at Philadelphia and Denver.

Each 2001-dated Kennedy half dollar bag is filled with 200 half dollars in circulating quality, also struck on our main production floors at the United States Mint facilities at Philadelphia and Denver. Each bag is marked with both a “P” and a “D” representing the mints of origin and “$100,” the dollar value of its contents. The 130,000 two-roll sets available will sell for $35.50 each, and the 20,000 bags of 200 coins will sell for $135.00 each. More 200-coin bags and two-roll sets will be produced as customer demand warrants.

Customers can purchase the 2001-dated Kennedy Half Dollar Two-Roll Sets and Bags by visiting the United States Mint’s secure website at http://www.usmint.gov/catalog, or by calling 1-800-USA-MINT. Hearing- and speech-impaired customers may order by calling 1-888-321-MINT (6468). A shipping and handling fee of $4.95 per order will be added to all domestic orders. Please allow approximately two to three weeks for delivery.

When making a purchase online please use this source code: ITDKD01.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I know JFK collectors want these, and I'd like to order some myself. But a $7.50 surcharge on each $10 face value roll? Let's see, we get $20 dollars worth of coins from the Mint for only $35.00

A lot of folks got upset when the Mint started charging for shipping last year. Doesn't this bother anyone besides me? image

BobIn Memory of BigIndie (Mike Dalzell) 1974-2004
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • FragmentumFragmentum Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Shipping from the mint and the surcharges are outlandish.
    Not much you can do about it but NOT order and NOT pay it...
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Shipping from the mint and the surcharges are outlandish.
    Not much you can do about it but NOT order and NOT pay it... >>

...or go to the US Mint and buy it from the gift shops there.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got mine as well.
    I only wanted some, but didn't want to pay the huge surcharge for the rolls, so I bought the bag.
    I will go through, get some, and probably ebay or BST some of the others...maybe $1.40 each incl shipping. Just a thought.

But, I also combined the 2004 silver quarters so it lessens the overall impact of the $4.95 s/h by the mint.
    As for going there and buying directly (ie...in person)....not all of us can do that...I work FT and live in WA State, so it is kind of too far.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• CoinGuy42CoinGuy42 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    I agree the MINT surcharge is hard to swallow, the ebay surcharge will be a lot more unreasonable when they are sold out. $4.95 shipping for the 3 bags I purchased is reasonable IMO. Try and buy one bag on ebay for under 10.00 shipping per bag.

Anyone know how many bags are to be sold?
  • NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "Anyone know how many bags are to be sold? "

20,000 bags to start, then whatever the demand.

Jim
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    image I wonder if they will be using a different set of dies if they run out----------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • BothuwuiBothuwui Posts: 484 ✭✭
    You got me thinking BigE. I can't understand how they can say that 20,000 bags wil be soldat first, and then whatever the demand. They said 19.5 million D mint halves were made. 12,334,000 were already released. Now if 130,000 2 roll sets are to be sold, that's another 5.2 million D mints. the 20,000 bags will account for 2 million more D Mints. That will kill off the entire mintage of 19.5 million. Does that mean they will go back and remint 2001 coins if there is demand? Maybe my math is just off.
    Successful transactions with: goldman86, dmarks, CoinFame, segoja, commoncents05, wondercoin, Dabigkahuna, Levinll, RNCHSN, MrOrganic, Type2, ModernCoinMart, alohagary, BECOKA, guitarwes, rbf, fishteeth, freechance, agentjim007, PQPeace, Russ, GSAGuy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file