Home U.S. Coin Forum

Regarding Washington Quarters...Why do some...

PCGS 65s and PCGS 66s appear to be superior to the 67s? We all agree that there are "inconsistencies" when it comes to grading as is proven by coins that are resubmitted
enough until they are assigned the grades they deserved from the get-go.

After hours and hours of intense scrutiny with lamps(100 Watt) on both sides of my work
area I have seen way too many PCGS coins that flat out confuse me. They are perfect in
virtually every way- no hits, no unbroken luster...PERFECT ! Some are as Blast White
as the day they were minted while still others have that true, original "look" (undipped).

What I HAVE noticed is there is, what I perceive to be, a bias towards original Mint Set
toning...not toning by artificial means. In some cases the 67s actually look bad, as in inferior,
when compared to these beautiful 66s. Any thoughts or opinions on this would be greatly
appreciated. By the way, Happy Easter everyone! Just trying to continue to learn and to
understand...........Thanks

Comments

• Maybe they're getting eye appeal bump for the color?
    -George
    42/92
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Truly George... I do not know. It's as confusing as all get out. I've been looking at
    examples day after day, week after week, month after month, just trying to
    understand. I'll string them out, carefully examine them-walk away and come back
    time after time and STILL, I just can't comprehend it. Two identical coins, side-by-side-
    one is a sharper strike with no hits at all...totally gorgeous while the other is way less
    eye appealing yet it grades higher!? Confusing....very,very confusing!image
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    I do think if the color is good, the grade goes a little higher, especially if the eye appeal is really nice. This isn't always the case though. I have a 54S with mint set toning, that isn't all that attractive that has the typical weak strike for this date, but it's in a 66 holder. I think if it were sent in raw again, it has a greater chance of returning in a 65 holder.

I think what keeps a quarter that is mark free out of a 66 holder is the motto, and a weak Liberty around the top. I've noticed that if the word "In" is flattened and spread out, or the word Liberty is flat in the letters rty, the coin will not make it into a 66 holder even if the coin is a very nice example.

This has been my experience with the coins I've submitted to PCGS.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
    Thanks Dennis...that is enlightening and sure worth checking out!image
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Boom, just my 2¢, but if a coin has original full 100% luster, it gets the grade. If it's been dipped and has 90% luster, it may be mark free and grade a point lower. These guys (the graders) look at a boatload of coins, and they know what original looks like. When you see 200 blast white dippers in a row, and along comes a natural lightly toned coin with 100% luster, guess what happens.image I count luster before marks, and I'd guess they do too.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    If you think original color is important in quarters you should try copper coins

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Boomer: Are you using a glass? If so, what power? Flush those examples out of your mind, or get new examples without really looking at them closely... and do a 15 second look... and go to the next... 15 seconds... then compare in your mind... and without using a glass... if needed, have someone cover up the grades for you, so you are taking an unbiased look at the coins...
    -George
    42/92
    Thanks Dheath, Glenn, George, bikingnut and all. I have committed myself to trying to

educate my chosen series as much as I possibly can. Sure, you bet graders know if a coin

has been "enhanced by acceptable means" and when it's original...just like my silly

little effort at learning to post pictures on my own a couple nights ago in this forum.

Take a good look at that coin...now THAT'S original! That's a candidate for 67 for sure!

I literally look at quarters all day and night until I exhaust myself in this quest to

understand.

Good advice George-funny you should mention coveriing up the grades. Done that.

I first start with just eye appeal then the 5X and finally the loupe(16X) with proper lighting.

I do it because it's fun and because I want to learn/ to know! Sometimes the differences

are ever so slight that 64s look like 66s and better than the 65s. One thing I can say about

67s is they all have smooth surfaces, virtually no hits at all and have(most of them) a very

natural look to them...very pretty surface-wise!image

Hey guys-gotta roll-time for Easter Mass and I have to get ready. Later on!!image
  • GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    If you aren't already separating them, try not to compare B rev to C rev, those of different compositions, or weak, med, strong mottoes, etc. It has been published that the grading companies evaluate the grades while considering the issues prevalent when they were struck i.e., the weak motto on a 1932 versus a weak looking motto on a 1942, Of course the 1942 is going to be penalized.

That may not be the best example, but I think it is a good illustration for what I'm trying to point out.
    Gilbert
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I'll perhaps give you a one-point bias toward Mint Set toning on this one. Graded MS-67, super nice coin, only discernible hit a small mark on end of nose ... (Coin and photo from Russ).

Man, thanks for the input guys...I appreciate everyone's cumulative knowledge!

Gotta run for a minute down to the shop for some supplies-be back in a bit!image
    OK...I'm back. Two things right off the top of the ole cranium here image

#1- Thanks RGL-that very picture with the defect on his nose is definite proof of Mint Set
    toning bias! If that coin were "normal"-NO WAY it would be 67! Great example BTW as I have
    like 10 rolls of 58-D and it's that kinda stuff that confuses me as to whether or not to submit.

#2- On another subject entirely, I have yet to submit a modern coin but after seeing some of
    the premiums these high grade pieces are bringing, I think I just may start. Some of these
    proof sets are about to get sent in as well as these Original rolls of quarters etc straight
    from the Mint. I need a break for a while from what I've dedicated the past 5 years of my life to-
    Washington Quarters 1932-1964, circulation strikes. Some of the prices these ultra grade moderns
    bring are mind boggling!image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not extremely familiar with the silvers, but better strikes may
    be a part of the reason that mint set toned coins get a little higher
    grades. With the later issues the strike will be far superior generally
    in the mint set coins. In the silver issues this difference isn't so dra-
    matic but it does exist. There is also a slight tendency for the cleaner
    mint set coins to have better strikes which would be more apparent
    at the high end of the grading scale.
    Tempus fugit.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    "The Look", so famous, or infamous, to define those coins that may have a higher value, given the current toned market conditions, and are handed a higher (than deserved) technical grade. (imho)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file