Home U.S. Coin Forum

In what year did they start adding alloys in coin?

When was the last year for the all silver coin?

Thanks

Comments

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    An alloy is a mixture of metals. The first regular issue silver coin that was alloyed was the 1792 Silver Disme. The U.S. Mint continues to use silver alloy in coins today in special silver proof sets. The alloy has always been with copper as it makes the silver much stronger and wear longer.

The government started making clad coins with no silver in them in 1965 with the dime and quarter. In 1970 they removed all silver from circulating U.S. coins.

Tom
    Tom

• MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    I heard gold is as soft as lead without the silver alloy

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

• << <i>I heard gold is as soft as lead without the silver alloy >>

I didn't know it was that soft. I learned something today!! image
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    You can cut pure gold with a knife but it is not as soft as lead. You can scratch off lead with your fingernail but you can't do that on gold.

Mohs' hardness scale:
    Lead - 1.5
    Gold - 2.5 to 3

Also gold is generally alloyed with copper to give it hardness.
    Other metals are used in combination with copper when a different color is desired.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very early coins were often made of a natural alloy called electrum. This was largely
    the result of the ancients inability to separate the gold and silver. These were generally
    mostly gold but the small amount of silver in them causes a very whitish color. Alloys
    were added to coinage materials at very early dates but for a more comprehensive answer
    you might try posing the question on the World and Ancient Coins Forum.
    Tempus fugit.
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    From what I gather BDP is asking a very simple question...

When did the Mint change from 90% silver coinage for dimes, quarters, and halves?

The answer: 1964 was the last year. In 1965 they went to clad dimes and quarters and a 40% silver clad half dollar. The 40% silver clad composition remained in the half dollar until 1971 when it was replaced with the same clad as the dime and quarter.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The correct answer would be about 600 BC.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • what about the nickle?
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    BDP
    To my knowledge the nickel hasn't changed.It didn't have Silver in it accept for the war years 1942-1945.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • BDP: Also, the nickel only has a fairly small percentage of nickel in the alloy. Pure nickel planchets were so hard they would actually break steel dies.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    Our nickels are 25% Nickel 75% Copper. The only coin that still maintains it's original size, weight and alloy since it was first coined is our nickel 5 cent piece.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Our first nickel was a 3¢ piece. image
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Gold is also the most mallable metal. 1 Oz (troy ounce i assume) can be drawn to a length of 43 miles.
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭
    According to Breen our first nickels were Flying Eagle cents. They were called "nicks" or "nickels" ten years before five or three cent nickel pieces were even minted. The cents were made of 12% nickel and 88% copper and weighed 72 grains.

1858 Flying Eagle Cent PCGS MS64

• << <i>1 Oz (troy ounce i assume) can be drawn to a length of 43 miles. >>

Drawing into a wire is ductility. Malleability is the ability to be hammered into thin sheets. Gold is both the most malleable and most ductile metal.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Technically speaking. The mint issues essentially pure silver coins every year, Silver Eagles which are far more pure than any previous issues at .9993 fine silver.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>Our nickels are 25% Nickel 75% Copper. The only coin that still maintains it's original size, weight and alloy since it was first coined is our nickel 5 cent piece. >>

Almost. The shield nickel was slightly thicker and .5 mm smaller in diameter than all of the other nickel five cent piece designs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file