Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Identify this!

... and you'll win a 1963 Cyprus mint set. Brad will have to do better than a km#, I need dates, values (in the condition shown), and more.Hint: look closely at the strike and detail. The coin is not bent as it might look.It is flawless except for the stain on the reverse.

Both coins have to be identified.

He's not even online, you guys have a shot actually. image
Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are both coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    What a time to be without my Krause at work-good luck guys!
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    I'm baaaack.
    #1 Tunisia, 1 kharub, KM-155, copper, 1281 (1864), $10 XF ('96 ed.) but this one is Unc., 5.8 million minted.
    #2 Turkey, 1/4 zeri mahbub, KM-608, gold, 1223 yr. 8 (1816), $45 XF.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    <<#1 Tunisia, 1 kharub, KM-155, copper, 1281 (1864), $10 XF ('96 ed.) but this one is Unc., 5.8 million minted.>>

But this was from the Heaton Mint collection and did you buy it off of Frank Robinson?

(Some of use don't have the 19th century Catalogue, so these contests are unfair.)
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    I think historygeek, not Brad, is closer to the truth. How can you tell that it's from the Heaton mint's collection?? (if it is)

And who's Frank Robinson?

The coin in hand looks very much like a proof to me. Edges like a butcher's knife etc.Even the scan suggests that. BU full luster, when Krause lists it only in XF.

I paid $32 for it and don't regret it. When I asked the seller what he thought about it (bought it from a written description,
    I have blind faith in that seller), he told me that he also thinks it's an unrecorded proof but if submitted to a TPG service it'd come back as a specimen.

edit: the zeri mahbub is unc too, quite scarce actually

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    The winner will receive this set

(the one mil coin is upside down to show the reverse)

Only elligible candidates are tbirde and historygeek.I'll have to wait for hg to see who will win it,
    but he's ahead, as a young numismatist without a Krause.

The third and fourth participants,failed miserably.

( image )
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Frank Robinson is a long time world coin dealer in New York that I've dealt with for decades. He recently offered the 1/2 kharubs from the Heaton mint collection in quantity in the same condition, Specimen-BU. I even picked a couple up for historygeek. I wish I could have afforded one for myself as they were a good deal at $11.50 each. He probably still has them here. It'd make a nice match for the 1 kharub you have.
    Go ahead and give historygeek the set (it's a nice one!) as my identification skills seem to have any challenge giveaway hosts gritting their teeth when I'm around. I just can't resist answering the the challenges, though! Sorry.
    Brad
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    It is really hard to differenciate some 19th century first strikes and proofs; my local dealer just bought a large wonderous collection of high grade crown sized coins look like proofs to me, but are actually BU-P/L.-- Russian, Austrian, German and et cetera.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    Brad, thank you for the link but mostly for understanding. And believe me, I'm not gritting my teeth when you enter,
    at the contrary , it's been two years since I lost the label of the zehri mahbub and couldn't figure out the date, thank you.
    I'd be glad to see your entry in the other, but like I said , it would be more fun for the others if you do so at the end. image

Just saw your post hg, congrats and PM me your address. image

(you should share info like that!)
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3