Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm beginning to detect a pattern...

RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
...but on the other hand maybe I'm just too cynical:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

I was also not aware that sometimes you have to win an auction more than once, like this poor soul:

Exhibit D1

Exhibit D2

Disclaimer: I'm only posting this because I thought it was a riot; not to round up the posse.

RELLA
Do not fall into the error of the artisan
who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
twenty times.

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was going to be about patterns.
  • Very interesting......His stuff usually goes for a good price, perhaps we now know why!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Didn't notice this before, Ira Stein might find it interesting:

Elusive Variety

Now I don't think it's such a riot anymore. image

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Boom - Possible shill bidding...

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    oh no. Say it ain't so. I bought 2 coins from him.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheesh. Good catch...it appears a bit blatant image
    And, looking at a few of the high bid items, he is even dumber.....if you are going to have a shill (if he is using one) then why start at a high starting price? Just start it at .99 and jack the price to where you want it anyway.

Sheesh.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I think you oughta tell Ira.

Ray
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    Roger,

Thanks for pointing this out. I have been looking at some of this seller's items. Also take a look at 3904563132 and 3907096390. eBay has been notified and asked to look into the situation.

WH
    Also 3903676894 and 3907374212. However, this one could have been a return.

WH

• mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    hmmm!

note the one glowing feedback in coinrare's file!

i too have bought from shortsleeved. was about to again....now i'm not so sure.
  • TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
    I saw that you had dealt with him before, and it appears you're not the only board member to do so...
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shot a courtesy e-mail to Ira, about his 44 d/s and that he might want to check it out.
  • Hi,

Jim and everyone else on the forum. With repect to the 1944 D/S, I did bid on it for a customer, won it for $247 and sold it to the customer (a good one) for $250. It's the variety 1, which is much less common than variety 2 and the ony one for the Registry set of Lincoln Wheats w/varieties. Above VF, this is a tough coin in the Variety 1 (portion of S is north of the D, not west as in Var. 2).

If I was being shilled, I wasn't aware of it. Price didn't seem at all unreasonable for an EF already slabbed by PCGS.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to me like the ol boy has several identities!
    Ken
  • first it sold to coinsrare
    and now he's selling it againThe cert. #'s match.
    and if he was unhappy with the deal would he bid onall of his auctions.
    This is alot.
    baggedit is now NARU. Will be interesting to see what happens, if anything, to the other accounts.

WH
  • TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
    Joeyuk,

How can he be selling it again? He already left feedback for it!

I like the CYA part: "Thanks for the interest/inquiries in many of my items!"
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Good job finding this rat! He has been shill bidding on all of his auctions.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • The feedback I guess I could excuse. I sold something last week and left pos. feedback when I got paid. The buyer received it quickly, felt I represented it fairly, and decided to return it. He will leave pos. feedback when he gets his refund. No harm no foul I had a no questions return policy. But I would be hesitent to continue bidding on my auctions if I were him, at least for a while. And also I hope no one thinks I used him as a shill when I relist it.
  • sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    I track this sort of a think for an investment firm. To catch traders trying to fix the market. I would have to say that I am almost positive this dude is shilling. I am surprized that ebay has not been hit with some kind of lawsuit that makes them responsible for this kind of tracking. Can't I put rare coins in my 401K now (through some weird way). Since I am buying them on ebay and he is fixing the price, isn't it just like fixing a stock price that I by on NYSE?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file