Home U.S. Coin Forum

Were George Morgan and Charles Barber friends?

I see that they have designed some commemoratives together.(Example:Columbian Half Dollar,1903 Lousiana Purchase Dollar,1915 Pan-Pac Half Dollar and Quarter Eagle, and 1916-17 McKinley Dollar.

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I believe that Barber hated Morgan!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • How come?
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Yep, they didn't like each other. I believe it was professional dislike plus the barbers had a hold on the mint for quite a while and disliked others who were horning in on their "domain."
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe because Barber's circulating coins, when added together, still couldn't beat Morgan's image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    And that Barber screwed up St. Gaudens' designs. And even when he did that, they still looked good -- testifying to how good St. Gaudens was.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    George Morgan's talents far surpassed Charles Barber and the Barberts knew it. They refused to find working space for Morgan in the mint and he had to work out if his boarding house.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Morgan, also being British - was viewed as a foreign interloper by the Barbers. They had their little empire at the mint and they wanted to keep it for themselves. When Morgan came onboard in the 1870's and was reporting directly to the director of the mint, it didn't sit well with William Barber right off the bat, and the relationship apparently never got any better.
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Morgan wanted to become chief engraver upon the death of William Barber, wich was one of his dreams. They also submitted a lot of designs for new standard US coins in the 1870's.

Dennis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file