Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin World or Numismatic News?

chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
After questioning Coin World's policy on allowing an advertiser to continue their ads after being expelled from the ANA, I am ready to switch to Numismatic News. I've been a subscriber to CW for the last 3 years but am extremely irritated with their lack of integrity.

So, here's my first poll to see how many members read either CW or NN (or both).

Bob

In Memory of BigIndie (Big mike) 1974-2004
Retired Air Force 1965-2000
Vietnam Vet 1968-1969

Comments

• GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I used to get several publications, but never had time to read them all.

So now I am down to just one... and the one I stuck with is NN.
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭
    I read both but like CW better.

I don't know for sure but suspect NN is in the same position as CW with respect to that advertiser.

WH
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I read whatever I can get my hands on that has to do with cents, but with a limited budget I stuck to subscribing to NN, and I don't think I like it as much as CW. I get older copies of CW from a friend who does subscribe, so I'm not missing anything...just getting it a bit late.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • I like Coin World and have read it religiously in the past three years. They have too much junk advertised and I wish they had more articles instead. My Coin World is always a week behind but that's a postal problem.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I have read CW for about 15 years, and just started getting NN a year ago. They do have some overlap, but they each have their own personality. NN has better numismatic research and analysis - more in-depth stuff. CW has more articles and columns overall, including QDB. NN carries a lot of current mintage reports. CW has a better price guide.

They each have benefits, so I'll probably keep getting both. If I had to pick one, it would probably be CW.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Ever since my subsciption to CW ran out,neither.

Does anyone hear read CoinAGE?
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I subscribe to coin world, but buy the NN from the newstand. NN is more available in this area over the counter than coinworld is.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    I subscribe to both and have for a number of years. They are good reading material. Bob, IMHO, the only one you hurt by your protest to CW is yourself. Steveimage
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I can confirm that the dealer who got booted from the ANA advertises in NN as well as CW.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    I used to have a subscription to CW, but I let it lapse when I only read a couple of columns each week. I just bought a subscripion to Coin Age today. I always enjoy reading this magazine, and I am looking forward to my first issue. I have never read NN.
    J'har
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone really think that any of these 4+ page advertisers are going to be banned? Even on a volume plan, they are forking over about $7000 per week at the contract rate.

CW here, for now. I've subscribed to both simult. in the past.
  • Coin World is cheap. Good articles but tons of advertisments.
    Many of the advertisers misrepresent their coins.

Numismatic News is expensive but very educational.
    The dealers advertised are held to strict standards.

Coin World is weekly so you can stay current.
    Numismatic News is monthly but higher quality.
  • chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the poll. There's a lot of comparative analysis here that might also help newbies decide which to read. I used to get NN years ago and liked it. I have to admit, though, regardless of CW's lack of integrity I like to get a weekly coin publication and the monthly Coin Values magazine is really nice.

Steve, you are probably right. I'm just shooting myself in the foot if I cancel my subscription over their advertising policy.

Bob

In Memory of BigIndie (Big Mike) 1974 - 2004
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.

Coin World is weekly so you can stay current.
    Numismatic News is monthly but higher quality. >>

Krause's World Coin News is monthly but the regular Numis News is weekly.
    Tempus fugit.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've subscribed to CW for over 30 years. I have found no real use for NN or Coinage. I consider them a waste of time and $$ for the most part. I can usually read whast's worthwhile in a NN in 5 minutes....at least CW takes me 15-20! CW seems to cover most of what is of interest in the market, I do not get that feel from NN. Since ads from major retailers are a good way to feel the pulse the market, CW is hands up better than NN.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks-

I like both publications, which are two of about a half-dozen I read routinely. CW has lots of advertisements and a great pricing guide. Before the web (and eBay), most of my non-show purchases seemed to come from CW ads. NN seemed to have more indepth articles from thier staff writers although both used freelance writers liberally.

Both editors of CW (Beth Deisher) and NN (David Harper) and the proverbial "salts of the earth" and are really dedicated to the hobby. If I had to choose one over the other, it would have to be NN. Well, I am also a little biased since I have a column (Coins in Education) in NN!image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Long time NN subscriber here.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took 5 min to read NN-so I dropped the subscription. Still get CW. Both have dishonest advertisers; neither, not just CW does much about them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file