Home U.S. Coin Forum

1874cc Trade Dollar question.....

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had a chance to buy this coin raw today but I turned it down because of redish/brown toning around the obverse raised areas. I assumed it was dipped years ago and this reddish toning was the result. I was lucky enough to see it under both 10x and 30x magnification. With the naked eye the fields appeared to be cleaned but under the scope the scratches were actually raised areas. Does this sound like a counterfeit coin? I saw numerous raised areas or die cracks in my opinion. What really turned me off was the uneven wear of the rim. The Reverse NW rim seemed UNC. while the SE reverse rim was worn. Did this year have numerous problems with die wear? Any input is appreciated. I grade the coin EF45-AU50 but the color and strange surfaces make me weary. I have never seen a coin with such strange obverse conditions. If you have any suggestions for further examination it would be appreciated.

M.

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To paraphrase Bowers, the '74-CC is notorious for oddly struck and weakly struck specimens'. With that said, however, I would advise you and everyone else to never buy a raw trade dollar except from a dealer you know and trust who will be there to refund your money if it turns out to be a copy. The damn things are everywhere! Grrrrrrr.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks TDN. I don't believe I've ever seen this type of Redish/brown toning on silver before. That's what scared me besides the very strange fields that seemed to have numerous "die cracks" and almost "bubbly" or reverse corrosion on the coin. Instead of being pitted it was just the opposite. Any of these descriptions raise the red flag? Us amatuer Trade Dollar people appreciate your input!

M.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and almost "bubbly" or reverse corrosion on the coin. Instead of being pitted it was just the opposite >>

Sounds like it might be a cast copy.

Russ, NCNE
  • keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Russ. Sounds like a cast copy. Stay away unless you know exactly what to look for. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Keoj,

Did you notice that eBay yanked that auction you posted about?

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file