Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ok... will someone please tell me what Darkside coins are?

I have NO idea what you guys are talking about!!!!!!! :0

Comments

• JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    US Coins are called Lightside... Canadian is considered Greyside... Everything else foreign is Darkside...
    -George
    42/92
  • TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh! That's a trip!! Someone on here has some BEAUTIFUL gold coins...I believe they are called goetz patterns or something? They have a scared eagle on them and they look really pretty. I have seen a lot of "darkside" coins that are neat but I don't know ebough to buy any....
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Close, JrGMan! It includes basically all numismatic areas other than US coins, and you can see what it is like by checking out the World & Ancient Coins and US & World Currency forums.

Several years ago when the CU boards were young, "numismatics" for most of its denizens meant US coins, period. Anything in the dark and foreboding terra incognita beyond Morgans and Mercs was unknown or "beyond the pale." A few of us decided that this status quo needed to be overthrown. The "Dark Side" was born, we offered great (non-domestic) beer -- better than the stuff they swill around here on the Liteside -- and we've grown into a thriving community ... albeit one that still seems to strike terror into the souls of some Litesiders.image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok... will someone please tell me what Darkside coins are? >>

The darkside is an evil and frightening place from which there is no escape. Enter at your own peril - you have been warned!

Russ, NCNE
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    If you want to know more about Goetz, contact the board member Cacheman. He's your man.

We ARE watching you.

• Liteside:U.S. Coins
    Darkside:Foreign Coins
    Farside:Tokens
    Greyside:Canadian and British coins

<< <i><< Ok... will someone please tell me what Darkside coins are? >>

The darkside is an evil and frightening place from which there is no escape. Enter at your own peril - you have been warned!

Russ, NCNE >>

Like I said ... image

BTW, Goetz' coins were patterns that never were accepted; most of his work are medals, and he is especially known for his satirical series.
    Askari

• Take a little time and go through the World Coins Forum. I buy for the beautiful engravings where others buy for date, type, etc. (goetz patterns) much like rare coins on this forum.

The engraved coins are inexpensive and add to a collection of coins you will like to look at and your friends will like. Some collect ships, animals, all from one country, or anything else. I got started by buying the lion coin from Kenya. It is still my prize coin and it was like $30.00.

You will notice one thing also, very few ever talk about making money, grading, investments, or "day trading". It seems to be really all about the coins.

<< <i>Greyside:Canadian and British coins >>

Is British Greyside and not Darkside?

Man, that's a relief!

Russ, NCNE
    Just different regions in the Dark Side, Russ ... don't get your hopes up! image
    Askari

Oh, man, now I'm scared. I have a bunch of those.

Russ, NCNE
    Guess you need to add them to your sig line, eh? image
    Askari

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file