Home U.S. Coin Forum

Computer Geeks - Scanner ?

Anyone have suggestions on minimum requirements for a scanner. I'm looking to purchase one today mainly so that I can scan/post quality pics of my coins.

Any help is appreciated,
snapmohr

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a digital camera. If you want quality pictures of coins, a scanner will likely not yield you good results--they can barely show lustre and color is not always easy to get. With a digicam, you can move lights around to get the perfect shot. I do NOT suggest you buy a scanner.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • If you get a digicam, pay attention to optical zoom. The higher optical zoom, the closer you can get. You can do digital zoom on the computer with photoshop or something.

Mine only has 3x optical, but I can't use it when I'm in macro mode.

I would suggest a Minolta camera.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you get a digicam, pay attention to optical zoom. The higher optical zoom, the closer you can get. You can do digital zoom on the computer with photoshop or something.
    >>

Most cameras limit zooming when in Macro mode. The best cameras have large pictures, and very short focusing distances for macro. I think the board' general opinion is Nikon or Olympus for current models.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Jeremy.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    A digital camera is definitely the way to go. And it needs a good macro mode. Consumer Reports had a whole section on digital cameras about 3-4 months ago that had all the ins and outs. But in the end, the optics are what matters. And generally the companies that produce excellent optics for film cameras make excellent optics for digital cameras.
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    If you've got the money, definately go with a nice Nikon CoolPix or an Olympus C-Series, like the C-5050... if you're lookin cheaper... I was looking at the Nikon CoolPix 950. It has one of the best Macros without an after-market lens. And I've seen them sell Used ones on EBay for $100-$150
    -George
    42/92
  • Don't get a scanner for coins..A digital camera will give better results. I had a nikon 950 but took it back and got a Sony DSC..I like it a lot better, and you can zoom the pics after you have them in memory.
  • moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    Learn from my mistake, if you do get a scanner to use on coins don't get one of the thin ones, such as a HP4670. It will not properly focus on slabbed coins imageLink

Charlieimage
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I agree with general consensus above.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file