Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Re-Submission upgrades

Has anyone resubmitted PCGS slabs for a possible upgrade, to PCGS and what were your results?.

Eastside

Promote the Hobby
Promote The Hobby and Make it a Positive Experience for all, Remember That this Hobby Can Be Fun & Profitable & Profit is Always FUN

Comments

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I sent all my proof statehoods back for regrade and they came back the same, minus quite a few bucks image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 779 ✭✭✭
    I have better luck when I crack them out and resubmit them.

Mark
    Mark
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 2-3 on my only attempt
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    The coins I know are undergraded upgrade. The ones I think might have a chance sometimes do.
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I sent in the following in their PCGS slabs:
    1899 Double Eagle went from MS-62 to MS-63
    1861-O half dollar went from MS-62 to MS-63
    1843 Half Dime stayed the same at MS-63
    1861 Trime stayed the same at MS-62

Tom
    Tom

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've sent in around 25 coins over the years, and had about 1/3 of them upgrade. But everything I sent in looked very PQ to me.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent all my proof statehoods back for regrade and they came back the same, minus quite a few bucks image >>

Bill, can you tell me your mindset in sending back these coins? Were you trying to hit the so called "perfect grade"? Wouldn't you have a better chance gambling with the lottery? Steveimage
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭
    Last year, I got 4 regrade upgrades out of about 25 submissions. Fortunately, the upgrades I got resulted in increased values that more than covered the expense for all the submissions.

1953S MS66FB Rosy upgrade to MS67FB
    1951S MS67FB Rosy upgrade to MS68FB
    1952S MS67 Rosy upgrade to MS68
    1958D MS66 Wash upgrade to MS67
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    I've sent in about 10 regrades (v. the crackouts) and have gotten 6 or 7 upgrades. The percentage for crackouts has been about the same. I evaluated each coin carefully, ignoring the particular generation of holder.

My crossover rate is about 60 percent, some of which have gone to the next higher grade. Although the percentage for crackouts has been about the same, I think chances are better with crackouts. It is easier to grade a raw coin- i.e., grade it for what it really is.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Statistics mean little re: regrades -- a lot depends on the knowledge and eye of the person submitting. Regrades that work do so because the right person knew to submit the right coin.
    I brake for ear bars.
    Pcgs cracks out pcgs regrades bofore the graders look at them so weather you crack them or send them in the slab it makes no difference unless the person at pcgs who cracks it out drops your coin or something.
    Long time ago when you sent a regrade in the current grade was counted as one of the grades but pcgs no longer does that.
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    Statistics mean little re: regrades -- a lot depends on the knowledge and eye of the person submitting. Regrades that work do so because the right person knew to submit the right coin. So true!

Pcgs cracks out pcgs regrades bofore the graders look at them so weather you crack them or send them in the slab it makes no difference unless the person at pcgs who cracks it out drops your coin or something. Agree; this is my understanding as well.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Placid,
    it was my understanding that they still practice this inhouse
    where the original grade is entered into the computer
    TIm
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file