Home U.S. Coin Forum

Nickel Lovers, I have a question.

I have a 82-S proof nickel here. Its nicely frosted on both sides and the fields have nice mirrors. But, the back at about 1 o'clock, just above the buildings cap in the feild, has a very small ding in it. Hard to see with naked eye unless you tilt it just right. under 5x it shows up but still very small. While I had my glass out I checked the steps and those babies are full. They do not converge together or look mushy, they are very nicely seperated from end to end. My question is how much will that small ding affect a Proof coin? Sorry, but I dont have the required technology to place a pic up for show. Hopefully you can give me some info with the description I gave.

This nickel recently showed up in a package that my mother sent. I forgot all about this particular nickel. It's been in my possesion for 21 years.
PURPLE!

Comments

• While I had my glass out I checked the steps and those babies are full.

They usually are for proof coins. It's the MS coins where the FS designation matters -- not the proofs.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    ahhhhh ok.. I stand corrected. But what about the small ding?

Thanks Seq,
    PURPLE!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally if a mark isn't visable with the naked eye it will not have a lot of effect on
    the grade. Certainly it would keep it out of a reputable PR-70 holder though.

The '82 proof nickel often comes extremely high grade. If the mark is distracting or
    bothersome another cleaner example may not be difficult to locate.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Thank you cladking.

PURPLE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file