Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who here likes the Liberty Seated Dollar?

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked this 1860 up today for my Dollar Type set (crappy pic):

Comments

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    All seated dollars are cool. Here's mine.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    I'm a fan of just about everything Gobrecht had a hand in. I was a member of the Liberty Seated Coin Collectors for many years. I've never owned a Seated Dollar though. Beautiful coins!

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love 'em just can't afford them! image

Those are some image dollars! image
    Ken
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do... image

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a fan of anything made in New Orleans before the Civil War. Here is my 1860-O $1 reverse:

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Russ, Your coin is a half dollar and he was asking about silver dollars. Here's mine:

Tom
    Tom

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ, Your coin is a half dollar >>

You think? image

Russ, NCNE
    Tom: Good catch! Russ's 1857 sure does look like a half dollar! Well spotted image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer your question, EVP does NOT like SDs. The only thing he hates more is TDs.

And the only person who dislikes them both even more is TDN image
    Tom: By the way, that's a really nice looking 1869 Proof Seated Liberty Dollar ! image

Stuart

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them... I just can't afford any image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Okay, is that better? image

Russ, NCNE
    Russ: Yeah Dat's da Ticket! Looks like the Seated Liberty dollar that Morgan Fairchild gave me when we dated a long time ago!! image

Now, that's my kind of coin with my kind of toning. Is that what kind of coins you buy when you make all that money selling AH Kennedy Halves?? image

Stuart

<< <i>Looks like the Seated Liberty dollar that Morgan Fairchild gave me when we dated a long time ago!! >>

You must have done her real good.

<< <i>Is that what kind of coins you buy when you make all that money selling AH Kennedy Halves?? >>

I wish. I just got to fondle it for a little while.

Russ, NCNE
  • aem4162aem4162 Posts: 421
    i love the seated dollar, half, quarter, dime....i think i'm falling in love with gobrecht's art
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only wish I could take some pics like you guys do. It really shows how nice these coins are. Mine looks much better in person than in that monstrosity of a picture I posted...I would guess it to be between XF and AU. The only weakness that I can see is in the letters BE in LIBERTY. Is that a common weakness?
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MAN I LOVE those dollar coins! They are just way out of my price range I think. Not to offend anyone but what price ranges did y'all put out for them beauts?
  • imageimage
    imageimage
    Two of my favorite coins.
    "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    "Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"
    - Hobbes
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who here likes the Liberty Seated Dollar? >>

Who here doesn't like Seated Liberty dollars?

If there are any who don't, they need to be institutionalized! image

The way Gobrecht intended it:

imageimage
    (Man, I'd love to have that coin, but I wouldn't have anywhere to put it if I were a homeless fugitive, after selling all my worldly goods to buy it, then coming up short and having to steal it and go on the run...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be looking for an image in my post, but if you want you can always look at my avatar and see my lovely circ J-60 (original, from the 12/1836 issue).

For those who don't know, this is a very handsome series to collect and it tends to attract the "big boys" of the classical US coinage arena because it is also so challenging. It is a series whose size of each coin and number of holes in the set is sufficiently significant that if you complete it, you will have quite an eye popping collection!

It is also a series that contains a huge number of condition rarities. Every date is extremely tough to find original and with positive eye appeal. Of the 45 or so holes in this series, I'd say that all but 7 are rare in true MS. And, every date is an extreme rarity in GEM MS.

The collectors of this series can be broken down roughly into the following pigeonholes:
    * Pursuing the finest they can find, which is a real toughie since many of the dates don't exist above CHOICE MS.
    * Pursuing MS-ish quality coins, which translates to the ChAU to ChMS grade ranges given the extreme rarity and price of the 71CC and 73CC even at the AU55 level.
    * Pursuing a thoroughly respectable and challenging set of EF to ChAU specimens.
    * Pursuing an avg circ set (ChVF and lower), which is much tougher than one might expect because most of the dates are easier to find in the upper circ grades.
    * Pursuing a PF set, typically from 1858 onwards, since the early proofs are so rare and expensive.

But, what most fans of this series don't seem to know is that the difficulty of this series is driven by pricing (people love the large cartwheels) and it's relative scarcity to Morgan and Peace dollars. But, this series is actually not that tough to complete when compared to Seated dimes, quarters and halves. And, probably my guess is that the half dimes will give this series a challenge too if we're talking about CHOICE MS and better.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like em so much that my main collecting interest has expanded from just the Trade Dollars to the entire Liberty Seated dollar types - from Gobrecht thru Trades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file