Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's the neatest pattern you can think of? Do you have a picture of it?

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Kay (RKKay) let me photograph his inventory at the ANA Baltimore show... here's his schoolgirl image

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Dan

no picture unless you can look through some old copies of Numismatic News or Coin World. last year one of the two had a short article which contained a photo of a Frank Gasparro pattern dollar which was declined in deference of the SBA. i appreciate the commeoration given to Ms. Anthony and even like the "Carter Quarters" we have instead, but that design of his was lovely and very reminiscent of classic coinage.

al h.image
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Anything aluminum looks far out.

Does anyone have a picture of that famous aluminum type set that was in the Garrett collection, all in one holder? I've searched the web high and low and can't seem to find it anywhere.

We ARE watching you.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

More info at uspatterns.com.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I have 2 favorites... #1 is a Copper Shield Nickel that Rick has... or had... not sure if it's still his... anyways, it has a rotated reverse, and is also wierd, b/c it almost looks like when it was hubbed, it was hubbed twice, but then rotated and hubbed again... when I talked to Rick, he wasn't sure how it happened, but that's kinda what I think... anyways, it's cool and has nice rainbow in the shield... and #2 is the Copper Morgan Dime. That's an awesome little coin... my dream coin...

Only picture I could find... the Morgan Dime...

-George
    42/92
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    She looks a bit gaunt.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Thanks Andy.

I knew one of you big boys would be able to put a finger on it.

We ARE watching you.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick's dime pattern was another favorite of mine--very awesome coin... if only I had (the) money...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Since I subscribe to the school of thought that the 1836 reeded edge was intended to be a pattern, then it (and all like that followed) are my favorite.
  • edited to add: these pics belong to boiler78. He graciously allowed me to copy them to my computer for my own Morgan Picture archives.

• EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    As soon as I read the title, I instantly thought of the school girl pattern. What a beautiful coin it would have been instead of the rather bland version that was chosen. That's one of the few patterns that I ever thought about buying - until I saw the price.image Thanks for posting the pics Airplanenut.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door

• << <i>no picture unless you can look through some old copies of Numismatic News or Coin World. last year one of the two had a short article which contained a photo of a Frank Gasparro pattern dollar which was declined in deference of the SBA. i appreciate the commeoration given to Ms. Anthony and even like the "Carter Quarters" we have instead, but that design of his was lovely and very reminiscent of classic coinage. >>

I think this is what you're looking for
    Dan

My quarters:
    Silver
    Clad
    Statehood
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lately, I have been partial to this coin (in the Pinnacle inventory):

• WHY didn't the mint use those patterns?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!! my gosh some of them are incredible...i absolutely love the morgan patterns....and the sitting liberty with the eagle...and liberty with the cap - what were they thinking about when they decided to go with the agony???????????????????????

*anita barely hits reply before the beauty of the patterns overcome her and cause her to faint...she lands on the floor with a thud...one of the cats sits on her and takes a bath*
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    1817 UK 3 Graces Crown pattern struck in gold (only 3 extants known)

trozau (troy ounce gold)
    The 1839 UK Una and the Lion was included in the official Royal Mint proof sets for 1839, though it technically is considered a "pattern." The shield-shaped carrying case included 14 other proof coins of varying denominations.

imageimage
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an 1848 white metal French 5-franc pattern. Not the "neatest pattern I can think of", but definitely neat, especially considering it cost only a small fraction of what the most common US pattern would. (Less than $250, in an ANACS PF64 holder!) Check out the cherubic headband, and the "4" in the date. The design was eventually adopted over 100 years later on a different coin, in a slightly modified format. This pattern was struck about 40 years before France gave us the Statue of Liberty, and you can see they were already tinkering with that motif.

Cool piece- I had it and one other 1848 pattern. They're going to somebody who's already posted on this thread, as part of the trade for my latest sig line coin. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to like my patterns until I saw that schoolgirl........imageimage

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
    This is an 1845 UK medallic issue

but I would not be surprised to find the design used in a pattern as an alternative to Pistrucci's St George

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK- That half eagle pattern that Pinnacle has is much much nicer than the image, in fact it doesn't look anything like the image and I doubt if the coin sells from the image they have up. I have no doubt the coin will eventually sell because it is stunning in hand, definitely a coin that has to be seen to be appreciated. This is a good example of a coin that is virtually impossible to capture in an image and if you look back at auction catalogs where this coin was sold you will find that no one has even come close.

Two things that are very cool about that particular pattern. First, the large diameter of the planchet. The coin was made on a very thin planchet to make it difficult to slice the obverse and reverse apart and fill the two halves with a base metal. This thin planchet led to the increased diameter in order to maintain $5 in gold content. Second, The use of an upside down "A" punch for the "V" in five.

Very cool coin!
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not so much for what it looks like, but for what it is.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file