Home U.S. Coin Forum

How to help inform eBay'er of Fake

keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
Bad Trade Dollar

The above coin is a fake. I sent the seller a note. Would love to send the bidders notes but ID's are kept blind. The bid is quite high for a counterfeit coin (I not sure at what amount it becomes grand larceny). What do I do now? Should I send a note to eBay (they never make it easy)?

keoj

Comments

• Why is that so hard for anyone to see, I mean what coin has anyone seen with the weight in oz stamped on it. This is rediculous!
    Coins, shiny coins!
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

He says in the description to bid as a replica and he is in Hong Kong!!

Any bidder who can't read or bids without researching it deserves what he gets!!!!

• JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    You're being facetious Russellp23.

Right?

We ARE watching you.

• TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    There's nothing deceptive about that auction.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is that so hard for anyone to see, I mean what coin has anyone seen with the weight in oz stamped on it. This is rediculous! >>

All I see is "420 Grains .900 Fine," which is what all trade dollars say. Bullion coins have their weight in troy ounces listed on the coin.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    I have been informed that the situation is being taken care of.

For those that think that its a genuine coin:

Its a key date 78-CC of the series with an impossible reverse on it (Type I is shown) all Trades after 1876 (77 and beyond) and Type II reverse only (Type I has berry in claw, Type II has no berry). In addition, the 8 in 1878 has been retooled. Like I said, not even a good fake.

keoj

• << <i>Why is that so hard for anyone to see, I mean what coin has anyone seen with the weight in oz stamped on it. This is rediculous! >>

Where does it have that stamped on it ? The one i see looks very much like a real Trade Dollar. It very well could be a fake but i don't have the knowledge to determine the details.

Anyone here a Trade Dollar expert that can shed some light on this ?

• JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    It's a fake, as keoj points out.

But the seller is selling it as a fake.

Why get your knickers in a knot about it?

We ARE watching you.

• << <i>keoj >>

Good Information ............ Thanks

You should copy the pics and do an editorial for us. I know there's a lot of these fakes out there.

• It's not a good sign when you see the bidders identities hidden. That usually means the seller knows that thier selling something bogus and don't want anyone tipping off thier bidders.

• TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I think scum nuker is all over itimage
  • The seller comes right out and says he is not a coin collector...and says right up front he doesnt know if its a fake or not and to bid on it as a replica...plain and simple, no misrepresentation...shame shame shame on the bidders, unless THEY are not coin collectors either.....OR...unless a fake 1878-CC Trade Dollar is WORTH $660.00....

MFS
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller comes right out and says he is not a coin collector...and says right up front he doesnt know if its a fake or not and to bid on it as a replica >>

Standard MO for the scamster community. They rely on the fact that many bidders are functionally illiterate.

Just take a look at his listings.

He's in China, the counterfiet capital of the world. He knows damned well what he's doing.

Russ, NCNE
  • I'm with Mass Full Stepper. No fraud.

He says he's no expert; he says it might be a fake; and he warns people to bid as a replica.

far worse are the scores of ebay offerings for "1936 U.S. Government Tribute Proof Sets" -- which are issued by a private mint. Not one seller out of ten says they're replicas.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    For my eye, untrained in Trade Dollars, it appears to be a pretty good fake. It may be obvious to Trade dollar collectors, but probably not to the rank and file.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    eBay yanked the auction.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file