Home U.S. Coin Forum

First Morgan Dollar Minted

I was at the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in Fremont, Ohio a couple of days ago and ran across this while going through the museum. It's the first Morgan dollar struck at the Philadephia Mint in 1878. It was presented to President Hayes and was accompanied by a certificate from the superintendent of the mint. I thought it was very neat. Wonder what the value of something like this would be? Anyone care to speculate?

Ronimage

Comments

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Now that's something cool!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting and educational to get a high resolution image of that coin since it is evidently really a first strike coin.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Priceless
    J'har
  • I've read in a couple of Morgan books that it was the first "official" Morgan made....they tried to strike a couple and destroyed them...this was the next one in the chain. Also read that this dollar has been cleaned countless times. Still a neat piece of history...but PCGS would probably bag itimage
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    If my memory serves me correctly, that would make this a vam-9, and unfortunately the most interesting aspect of the occurs on the reverse, which apparently is not displayed to the public. Looks like a wrotten holder. I think if I were the curator I would pick up another morgan to show the front, and display the reverse of the Hayes' dollar.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • imageimageimageimage
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Ya, I have seen it also, its pretty cool, especially to be stanmding less than a foot away from it. We got to go there for a school field trip, the guide didn't talk about it though image
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Great post. yes, I've too read it's been harshly cleaned.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could sell em a nice 64 image
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file