Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lincoln obv has changed a lot over the years.

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
I had never noticed how much the Lincoln Bust had changed over the years until i yook big pics. his head is totally different. Just thought it was kinda interesting.

imageimage
coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• Funny. I don't know anything about these guys and don't collect them, but I think I read somewhere (probably here) that it was redone completely in 1973 or 1974.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The relief just keeps getting worse and worse... ask coppercoins for the specifics
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • The Complete Guide to Lincoln Cents shows 8 major obv. hub types and 6 rev. Joe

Edit to add this is up till 1995
  • ya, now he looks pissed !!
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Obverse changes - 1916, 1918, 1933, 1960, 1969, 1973, 1974, 1982, 1992, 1995, and in very small ways just about every year since.

I think that's right, it's from memory.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    coppercoins:

That sounds right. It gets a "tweaking" just about every year now. image
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    IMO the best relief/design were the coins are from 1909, however I think the design currently in use is probably the most life like, at least AFAWK. The new lincoln looks as if its a totally different person than the original design. Look at the difference in just the nose. The older design has a nose flare and is much less roman like.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The new bust has a nice saggy face, kinda like I expect out of Lincoln. I was just surprised about how much he had changed. Don't really notice it until they are side-by-side.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Maybe he's tired of looking to the right?
    Maybe the next change should be to turn him around so he gets a better view and can see where he's been the last 95 years ?

• LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    The modern one looks too cartoony. Both make him look a lot better than he really looked.

He was an ugly man and he was the first to admit it. One time, during a political appearance, a woman accused him of being two-faced. Without missing a beat, Lincoln looked the woman dead in the eyes and said: "Ma'm, if I had two faces, do you really think I would wear this one?"
    DSW
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nose job
    a chin implant
    some botox
    a collegen injection
    and hair plugs

He's looking good for a man over 195 years old...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>[L=A link to some information about 20th century hubs, especially those of the Lincoln cent] >>

Thanks Iclugza.

There are many changes that take place in the last thirty years that tend
    to go unnoted because they are relatively minor. There are numerous mules
    of coins with both minor and major changes to the reverses.

Probably the most significant change which makes people see these as car-
    toonish is that the concavity was switched on them in the mid-'90's. Before
    this time all the 20th century coins were convex on the obverse (fields near
    the center of the coin are higher than fields near the edge). The obverse is
    now concave and this combined with the lower relief and greater detail gives
    them a cartoonish feel.

This will result in a much more obvious wear pattern in a few years. When these
    newer coins start to show their wear they'll look much older and worn. This is
    similar to the wear on the reverses of the Barber series which also seem to wear
    more than the obverse.

edited for spelling.
    Tempus fugit.
  • I really like the older style..it had so much more relief..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file