Home U.S. Coin Forum

Found in pocket change today

08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
I work at a Sunoco station and was given this today. I was about to throw it in the cash drawer and said this is nice.
I first thought it was a 1959 then I asked a customer to tell me the date and it is a 1939 Jeff.

I thought it was unbelievable to find a first year Jeff in change.

Rookie Joe

Comments

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    cool find

Nice to see these still circulate some image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought it was unbelievable to find a first year Jeff in change. >>

1939 is the 2nd year of the Jefferson Nickel, but it's still cool to have found it in pocket change.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Actually, 1938 is the first year for Jeffersons, and yes it is cool to find a '39. You can still occasionally find a 1938. About a month ago I found a 1938S in a nickel roll. Yours is in better condition than most. A good find! image
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I thought it was unbelievable to find a first year Jeff in change. >>

1939 is the 2nd year of the Jefferson Nickel, but it's still cool to have found it in pocket change. >>

That is why I call myself Rookie Joe.

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    You still find them out there sometimes. I've gotten several over the years. They are the best series to find old examples of since the design changed very little over the years. Although now they might get snapped up more.
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best circ. finds were both Jeffersons. 1939 reverse doubled MONTICELLO in VG (too bad it wasn't XF) and a really nice 1939-D in full XF. Both of these were found in the late 1980's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file